LibreELEC 12.0 on Raspberry Pi5

• I am (trying to) run the latest
    LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-12.0.0.img
    on Raspberry Pi5.

There appears to be a problem if one has a USB memory stick (with video contents) connected to one of the USB ports.

If starting up the system without external USB everything boots fine.
    If starting WITH USB stick attached the screen fills with errors (crash).

If entering the USB stick after having booted, then the screen tends to freeze (after a while) and the system becomes unresponsive.
    No video contents on the USB stick appears available.

If entering the USB stick after having booted, and then shutting down (from the Kodi front-end screen symbol) she screen fills up with errors (crash).

The USB stick is tested on a Windows machine and appears to be working fine.

• It would be useful to see the system (not Kodi) log when the USB device is attached. And yes "it's only a USB stick" but what is the PSU rated for? .. bad behaviour during boot and device attachment is a common symptom of unstable power.

• I apologize for leaving out some important information here.

I am using an official 27W Raspberry Pi PSU.
    I should also add that the USB stick is formatted as NTFS (capacity 64 GB).

I am pretty sure I did use the VERY same stick on a
    LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-11.95.1.img, same hardware RPi5, without any issues (or am I getting senile?? :) )

Using the very same NTFS stick on a RPI4 with Raspberry OS (nod KODI) is working fine.

Anyway, I reformatted a new USB stick with FAT32, and did the same tests as reported above.
    No issues at all!

So - from my point of view - this appears to be a NTFS-related issue. Is NTFS not supported???

• Only to be sure, do you use a case for your RPi5 like the Argon ONE V3? I'm asking because this case doesn't pass-through the PD information to the RPi5. The case pcb is self a power sink and negotiates the power consumption with the power supply. But the connection RPi5 <-> case pcb doesn't negotiate via PD (power delivery).
    The RPi5 relies on that power delivery information, to enable the whole 5A current and additional the USB boot support/max. USB current.

In such case, you need to add this lines to bootloader config /EEPROM:
    PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000

and to your config.txt:
    usb_max_current_enable=1

• If it's a PSU problem, then it's visible as undervoltage error in the log.

However, I still think it's related to errors at the NTFS file system. Since LE 12, file system check works different. This might lead to the described crash. Read this:

mglae
    November 25, 2023 at 9:35 AM
  • To answer your question:
    I am currently using a bare RPi5 powered by an official 27W Raspberry Pi PSU. No case.

The USBs being tested with are rather small (16 GB). But while FAT32 does never lead to any problems, when formatted with NTFS this clearly breaks LibreELEC.

However, when testing these USBs separately on either Windows machines or Raspberry OS (using RPi4 in this case) the NTFS devices gives no problems at all.

So clearly LibreELEC is less "forgiving" about my NTFS USB devices than the standard Raspberry OS.

Thanks for bearing with me and answering my questions so far. I will attempt to do some more testing and see if I can come up with a log file. And I will look more into whether power might be a culprit.

• I read the tea=leaves in my cup this morning but it hasn't helped with diagnosis. Sharing the URL from "journalctl | paste" would be more fruitful. We need to system the system log please.

• Hi ;)

How to add PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000 to bootloader config /EEPROM ?

• Oh ! sorry, I don't understand yet Linux commands :blush:

I used a copy/past "sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit" as it recommended in this forum, that don't work. And so, "-E rpi-eeprom-config --edit" that don't work to :D

Thank you ! :)