Control HDMI On/Off

• General advice for CEC issues is .. turn everything off and unplug devices. Leave for a while. Connect everything and power back on.

It often makes no sense but has a surprising hit-rate for success :S

• Fully agree with chewitt and would also add having two devices connected to a TV via HDMI can cause grief. I did have a DVD player (just for when I hadn't ripped a disk to Kodi) connected via HDMI and its now connected via SCART. I did this because on a couple of occasions trying to get HDMI working correctly was a nightmare. Since the change I haven't had a problem.

• Fully agree with chewitt and would also add having two devices connected to a TV via HDMI can cause grief.

I've had three connected for years. A bluray, a roku, and the RPi. I mean like a lotta years, since RPi 1. (and 2, and a W, and now 3 since it came out. Have a 4, but never hooked it up.) Never had a problem until LibreELEC 11 and loading new add-ons.

Would actually like a new TV, 4K, but they don't have as many ports anymore. Besides HDMI, my old one has composite and component inputs. Fiber and digital audio out. Sony receiver with surround & 5 speakers (live in apartment, so in deference to neighbors didn't add subwoofer). Still keep a VCR hooked up.

• I confess I still own a VCR but it's stashed deep in a closet somewhere. All our VHS tapes and DVDs were transferred to disc a decade ago. You still using a dial style telly as well? :shy:

• I had a Panasonic VCR/DVD combo expressly bought so I could backup my old VCR tapes.I loaned it to a neighbour who obviously put some tapes that needed decontamination in and the VCR part never worked since.

Good job I'd backed everything up to DVD.

• I confess I still own a VCR but it's stashed deep in a closet somewhere. All our VHS tapes and DVDs were transferred to disc a decade ago. You still using a dial style telly as well? :shy:

LOL. Might as well be! I'm still using the old (11-12 years?) 50" LG Plasma that sports a ton of inputs, including 2 composite, 2 component, and VGA in addition to the 3 HDMIs. No current sets have that much I/O anymore. This thing croaks I'm going to have to rethink the whole thing.

When I had the same issue the solution was to save the display data using the command "getedid create" (SSH).

So... The same damned thing happened again. The HDMI output was off and no amount of rebooting, unplugging, replugging, nothing helped. This time, rather than swap back to the earlier version, I followed your advice, but with HDMI in the off state. Nonetheless, it created the override, I rebooted, and it's been rock-solid ever since. Thank you so much!

Edited once, last by flintrpi: Merged a post created by flintrpi into this post. (April 18, 2024 at 4:22 AM).

• I leave my RPi5 running 24-7 with the old Sony 46" Bravia and sure enough I tried a restart of the system and it got stuck once again too. Unplugged the Roku the antenna then the RPi5. Turned everything off. Held my tongue a bit to the right, waited ten minutes, turned around clockwise three times then plugged all back in and turned on the Sony [with rh fingers crossed] and viola! Crazy stuff. I'm 99% sure current technology is not playing well with decade + old software used in the TVs back then. I'll take the win.

;)