Downgrade LibreELEC

• Hi have been using Kodi for awhile but was having problems with my device so I did a hard reset on libreelec not realising I wouldn't get the same version back it was 19.2 after a re.boot it gave me the option of version 20 which I didn't really want,I have read poeasts on putting a tar image file on USB and updating or downgrade libreelec but I haven't had any success I'm not really computer savvy is there a how to do the procedure anywhere that takes me step by step through it many thanks.

• Hi have been using Kodi for awhile but was having problems with my device so I did a hard reset on libreelec not realising I wouldn't get the same version back it was 19.2 after a re.boot it gave me the option of version 20 which I didn't really want,I have read poeasts on putting a tar image file on USB and updating or downgrade libreelec but I haven't had any success I'm not really computer savvy is there a how to do the procedure anywhere that takes me step by step through it many thanks.

What device are you using?

Usually touch /storage/.update/.nocompat and copying LibreElec image to /storage/.update and restart does the trick...

Also always have backups ready for rainy days..

Edited once, last by Mario77: Merged a post created by Mario77 into this post. (March 13, 2024 at 8:31 PM).

• Thanks Mario77, it's a intel device they used to sell them under the name Prometheus box and was developed by a guy that used to write for Kodi, everybody says use file manager to move the file,I can see the file after putting it on usb and putting in box and going to file manager but I don't seem to get any further I have right clicked the file on the right hand panel and it says no path exists I know I'm nearly there but cannot get any further, thanks.

• You will need to enable hidden files and folders support before /storage/.update will be visible in the Kodi file manager. It's normally much easier to SSH into the box to run commands to copy files around, and if that sounds like rocket science, it's the kind of science that would be useful to learn; as much as we aim for a GUI experience if you want to start doing downgrades and backups it quickly turns into essential knowledge.

• NB: Kodi does not support downgrades; the core OS and Kodi itself will downgrade fine but add-ons (which will be updated to the newer version) do not magically downgrade themselves causing problems.

https://archive.libreelec.tv/archive/ <= So probably easier to just download the LE 9.2 installer, create new install media, and clean install at the older version.

• How's about if I delete the add-ons I have installed and then downgrade will that work,I really need to know what to do when I see the libreelec file in file manager,

• My screen

I don't think LibreElec will let you downgrade by default..

On your usb alongside your LE image create an empty file and name it .nocompat

So on your usb you have now 2 items.The image and the file you created.

Insert USB in your device and browse to where you have your 2 files as you already done according to your screenshot..So in the left pane of filemanager you have your USB files.

Now go to the right pane of filemanager and browse to the directory /storage/.update

Go back to left pane and copy both files to the right.

Thats'all ..now restart and system should downgrade..

You will have to go in each of your main addons and downgrade manually...usually their dependencys are downgraded automatically but check just in case..

• I don't think LibreElec will let you downgrade by default..

Incorrect. It will prevent you from changing the image type, e.g. trying to use RPi5 image on Generic, but it will not stop you from moving up or down within the same image type. As stated already, Kodi doesn't support downgrades (never has, and has no plan to change that) so whatever problems follow are self-inflicted. The nature of how LE is packaged prevents Kodi binary issues, but you will see problems with add-ons. And still this is taking more time that it would take to simply clean reinstall at the older version.

• I did try your method's and I don't get option to copy when I have details on right pane so it looks like clean install with 9.2 or anything else a good clear description will help a lot please.

• Hello chewitt,I have tried everything to no avail, can you talk me through learning to SSH to box remember I'm not very computer savvy this is last try after this I will leave Kodi 20 on and make do.many thanks.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.