Noob type help request TVHeadend and Youtube.

• I am struggling to find the right advice over a few days of searching. I think most of the advice is old that I find.
    I can't seem to find any guides like I did last time and I seem to be getting things wrong.
    I have been using LE for a few years on a Pi4 with TVHeadend 4.2. Using two XBox tuners.
    I was aware that my version was old and could do with an upgrade, but I had a few things I wanted to do as well.
    I am still using the same two tuners but have moved to a CM4 on a Waveshare carrier board so that I can store LE on EMMC and Recordings on SSD and also go PoE.

I am now a bit confused. I set up initially as TVH 4.2 as I thought it was more stable.
    I was having trouble with a couple of things:
    a) The TV guide is showing duplicate channels (two of everything) and when I record things it records two versions.
    b) I couldn't log in to youtube anymore. I am struggling to find how to do it this time round. I get to the bit where I go to google.com/devices and that states that it was successful, but then I still can't access it on LE.
    So, because of these issues, when I was reading stuff, it looked like some advice was to try TvH 4.3. I did this, got sorted so that TV was working, but still had the duplicate issue and also the YT issue. It is the same. So, I have ruled that out.

I suspected I was just getting settings wrong in TvH and missing a stage with YT, but I just can't find the answers with searching.

Now, when I startup, I get no channels, when I was getting before and I can't access TvH to configure from a browser either.

I am a bit lost as to whether I have got one or many things wrong, I can't work out where to start now.
    Please could I get a pointer as where to start?
    Thanks.

Should I revert to TVH 4.2?
    Is there a recent guide to help a noob set up TvH 4.3?
    Is there a guide somewhere setting YT up on LE?
    Is there a guide to setting up two tuners on TVH?

• I'd recommend using using TVH 4.3 as 4.2 is effectively a dead codebase (no more fixes/changes will be made) and 4.2 is not upgradeable to 4.3 (and 4.4 in the mid-term future, at which point 4.2 will finally lose the 'stable' tag).

Tvheadend documentation is rather lacking .. in the project's to-do list, but it's a long list and there's some bigger items to fix before we get around to that whole heap of fun.

petediscrete or DeltaMikeCharlie .. any ideas?

p.s. There's also the Tvheadend forum: https://tvheadend.org

• Ah, thanks. I shall go look at that as well.
    Thank you for this. At least i know one thing is right. I might just start again. Knowing that 4.3 is the place to be.

• How did you access YouTube? Was it via a Kodi add-on?

If you still have access to your old Raspberry Pi, you could go into ‘Video addons’ and see if you have a YouTube addon installed and also which version.

The duplicate channels issue seems odd. What type of Digital TV system are you using? Free-to-air, cable, satellite? What country are you in? Do you know if you are using DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-S or ATSC?

Are you able to browser to your LibreELEC box using: http://<LibreELEC IP>:9981

I also agree that TVH 4.3 is the preferred version.

• Thanks for this. I suspect it is just me.
    Yes, I have kept my pi with its microsd in case I mess up :)
    I installed the Youtube add on through LE. I shall try and look at this tomorrow afternoon.
    I thik I am probably just missing a step somewhere, I am pretty sure last time I followed a guide, but I can't find what I am meant to do now. I have sen APIs mentioned, and all I have done is install YT, try to sign in, it states you need to do it twice, but that makes me think I have missed another sign in?

The first time I updated to 4.3, I got the guide running, but with double everything.
    I suspect I have just got something wrong with the muxes or the network bit.
    I am using two xbox tuners via a terrestrial aerial, so, freeview in the UK. I believe this is DVB-T from what I followed. I don't really know what they are, and am happy to be corrected obviously.

Initially I could browser into my LE box, I did it a few times over the last week or so, but then when I rebooted last time, I couldn't get into my guide and also this time couldn't use the browser access, I rebooted again and the same thing happened. However, I could SSH into it.
    So, when things kept changing, I came on here to ask for help. I clearly am not able to get it right on my own and I wasn't even sure which version of tvh to use. At least that is straightened out, thanks.

I have reset to defaults now within LE and started again, I tried again last night but couldn't browser in to it still.
    I will try and make more time Thursday pm to have another go.

Cheers.

Edit:
    Turns out I can now browser into tvh again. I am pretty sure I have done nothing different. I just switched it on.

Edited once, last by Grarea (March 13, 2024 at 8:46 AM).

• Just to help your understanding, LibreELEC is basically 3 pieces of software bundled together.

1) Unix Operating System.

2) Kodi Multimedia player, which is the GUI that you normally see and interact with.

3) TVHeadEnd (in your case). Does the live TV tuning, recording and playback.

Kodi has addons to talk to YouTube and TVHeadEnd so you get a seamless experience.

• Check your mux list for duplicate muxes. Chances are if you used that woefully outdated predefined mux table and used the scan setting “new and changed muxes” the scan results will yield duplicate muxes. You can of course skip using the predefined mux table, manually enter the mux details of one known active mux and the remaining active muxes should appear.

• Thanks, that does help my understanding.

Check your mux list for duplicate muxes. Chances are if you used that woefully outdated predefined mux table and used the scan setting “new and changed muxes” the scan results will yield duplicate muxes. You can of course skip using the predefined mux table, manually enter the mux details of one known active mux and the remaining active muxes should appear.

The magic tvh wizard has set things up perfectly from what I can tell from a quick test.
    Next little job. Youtube.
    Edit:
    I did another search and found this, I didn't do anything about APIs this time round.
    Should I follow this?:

How to Install & Setup YouTube Kodi Addon (2024)
    Today I will show you how to install the YouTube Kodi addon. Most of the guide is straightforward, but some steps can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re…
    www.firesticktricks.com

Edited 2 times, last by Grarea: Merged a post created by Grarea into this post. (March 15, 2024 at 7:53 AM).

• Brilliant, thanks loads for that. That's the sort of thing I have been searching for.

Thats interesting. I had very few issues with mine.

It stopped for a bit last year, but the advice was to do nothing. I managed that. Other than that it has been great a for a few years.

I can see why I have been suggested to look up my old version.