RPi5 with three TV tuners

• Hope it's okay to add this as attachments.

So I don't have TVHeadEnd running on the RPi5 (I disabled it to switch back to the RPi4 as my TV server and the RPi5 as client).

And then I don't get all the text over the boot screen.

Obviously the next test is to enable TVH and see what changes, if anything.

Thanks for your help.

And as soon as I start TVHeadEnd, it goes to hell. dmesg attached.

Even I can see there is something not right here!

• This doesn't looking good regarding the USB power. Was this an attempt with the powered HUB?

Code
    [  323.045985] usb usb1-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.046043] usb usb3-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.075888] usb usb4-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.075928] usb usb2-port1: over-current change #1
  • This doesn't looking good regarding the USB power. Was this an attempt with the powered HUB?

Code
    [  323.045985] usb usb1-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.046043] usb usb3-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.075888] usb usb4-port1: over-current change #1
    [  323.075928] usb usb2-port1: over-current change #1

Good spot. No it was not.

Does it make sense for this to only happen when TVHeadEnd is running? The tuner wasn't actually doing anything (as far as I know).

I will wait to see if anyone else spots anything, and do follow-up testing if needed.

Very odd that a RPi5 performs worse in this respect, even with a higher-rated power supply.

• Please keep in mind, that the RPi5 itself needs more power, than previous generations. If the system is very CPU agile and not in the idle state, then attaching of USB devices could be the worst case for the power supply and/or the PMIC.

If your USB HUB is really a powered one, you should try to only attach 1 tuner to the RPI5 directly and 2 tuners at the powered HUB.

Only to be sure, you attached the RPi5 power supply directly to the RPi5 pcb, right? You doesn't use a additional case or gadget like RemotePi board ?

• Please keep in mind, that the RPi5 itself needs more power, than previous generations. If the system is very CPU agile and not in the idle state, then attaching of USB devices could be the worst case for the power supply and/or the PMIC.

If your USB HUB is really a powered one, you should try to only attach 1 tuner to the RPI5 directly and 2 tuners at the powered HUB.

Only to be sure, you attached the RPi5 power supply directly to the RPi5 pcb, right? You doesn't use a additional case or gadget like RemotePi board ?

I'm using the ArgonOne case, so yes there is an additional gadget! Maybe the power isn't getting through.

The reason I discounted the USB power was because I did use a powered hub with all three, and then two, of the tuners attached.

Now I'm questioning whether it really is delivering the power.

• Thanks so much!!!

So, I've pulled the microSD card out, put it in a PC and added

usb_max_current_enable=1

to config.txt.

Does it matter where I put it? I don't want to mess up again!

Rookie question - how do I change the bootloader config? I don't see a file there to edit!

• The positioning of usb_max_current_enable=1 within the config.txt is not really important, but its good placed below the exiting lines in the [all] scope. It should be case sensitive, so you should use lower case for parameters in the config.txt, but UPPER CASE for parameters of the bootloader config.

You can check the current bootloader config with:
    rpi-eeprom-config
    or
    vcgencmd bootloader_config

and edit with:
    rpi-eeprom-config -e

Edited 2 times, last by HarryH (May 5, 2024 at 7:05 PM).

• Well, every day is a school day!

So, I've made the changes, plugged the tuners back in, rebooted and configured TVH. So far, it's looking good. I'll reserve proper judgment until I've recorded a few shows.

Thanks so much for your help!

• You are welcome. By the way, for the fan control of that case you can install this Addon: RE: [RPi4B] Argon One Case Shutdown

But please do place the lock file there before the Addon installation, to ensure that your current remote control configuration is not affected:
    touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock

I'm going to have a look at this, but I'll leave it a week or so.

So far, it's looking good now. TV recording all seems fine!

Thanks once again for your help. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others.