Videos on USB drive

• Kodi .nfo files are used to provide info to a scraper, e.g. telling a scraper to collect information from a specific online media database resource, or providing info to the local file scaper (which does not check online resources). In both scenarios Kodi scrapes info from the media files (with matching .nfo files) for the defined source, into the library database.

So local .nfo files may be needed, or may-not be needed, depending on what the media files are, whether Kodi has access to the internet (easiest) or not (needs a lot more preparation and effort) and what you're trying to achieve with them.

If you're trying to acheive an "offline" Kodi setup, it's probably easiest to start "online" and scrape all media, then export the DB content to local files, and switch sources from the default online scrapers to the local file scraper. Then if something triggers the source(s) to be scraped it will find the local data from local .nfo/image files and be happy.. (in theory). It's not something I've ever personally attempted though and Kodi is designed-for/biased for online use, so YMMV.

• This show an example what i got

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <movie>
    <title>movie name</title>
    <originaltitle>movie name/originaltitle>
    <plot>information about the movie</plot>
    <genre>action</genre>
    <rating>5.4</rating>
    <runtime> 2 hours 31 minutes</runtime>
    <mpaa>Rated PG-13</mpaa>
    <studio>DC films</studio>
    <director> Patty Jenkins</director>
    <uniqueid default="true" type="imdb">7126948</uniqueid>
    </movie>

is there any more details on the movie that i need to include. I have the poster cover located in the same folder as the movie file name poster.jpg

• Obviously there are many optional tags you could add (see link at post #3).

So what's the question? Is the poster invisible? If so, take a working JPG, and analyze its density (PPI value). Then convert the non-working JPG to the same density.

• no, it's not the poster, every since that i renamed it poster.jpg and stored it in the same folder as the movie file, it works. The question is , when creating my own nfo file, is this batch here all i need to create one.

The xml tags or whatever you call them, i got that. Example <title>movie title></title> i think i got a hold on that, beside, all i be doing here in my Movie and TVShows. just wondering how much information do i need in order to create a working nfo file.

• Think i had stumbled on some that works for so far. I downloaded this here https://mediacompanion.sourceforge.io/ and watched a video on how to get nfo file of the move. So, early today, i did a test run on a movie that i had stored on a hard drive, and loaded it up in here https://mediacompanion.sourceforge.io/ and after going through the steps, everything came out great. I loaded the movie into Kodi library and look just as if i was streaming online great looking.

On the TV Shows, i also had a few episodes in a folder on the same hard drive on the desktop so i can do my test run before setting it up on the TV. I loaded up the TV Show folder in here https://mediacompanion.sourceforge.io/ and nothing would happen.

I look at IMDB all the time and it just wouldn't work on TV Show

Edited 6 times, last by retropie boy (March 5, 2024 at 5:54 AM).