[Intel NUC8] No Audio After Suspend

• I know this thread is almost 4-years old, but I am having the same problem with my NUC8i5BEK. The USB-C port passes audio but no video at all. I am using a "uni USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K | High Speed HDMI to USB-C Adapter | Type C (Thunderbolt 3/4) HDMI Converter" that I bought from Amazon for $7.98

This adapter works perfectly with my wife's Macbook Air M1 Laptop. I don't know if it's a Linux driver issue or the adapter is not compatible with the NUC.

• blueribb Is your NUC firmware up-to-date?

zanderf
    April 18, 2023 at 7:40 PM
  • Why not use the HDMI port?

My two NUC8’s wouldn’t play HD audio to my new Denon AVR 4800H with HDMI 2.1 ports.

It was fixed by updating the Intel HDMI firmware for NUC8s which I need to use a Windows boot on a usb drive as the hdmi update was a Windows exe.

• I updated the NUC's firmware a couple weeks ago. When I use the HDMI port, I get no audio after suspend. I was using a power script to toggle the video refresh rate but can't use the script with 11.0.6 Generic. Generic-Legacy produces way too dark of a picture for some reason.

I did manage to find a work-around. I'm using a powered HDMI splitter that I got on Amazon.

• I did not update the HDMI firmware. Isn't that for Windows use only? I have no issues with HD Audio. My issue was with resuming from suspend mode, which produced no audio unless the video refresh rate was toggled.

What version of HDMI firmware did you use and where did you download it from?

• I was actually refering to an earlier post about no HD Audio pass-through, not your issue.

When you replied I was thinking you had the audio issue. Apologies.

For those needing the HDMI firmware fix on NUC8 its called:

NUC8ixBE-HDMI-FW-Update-Version 1.78.4.0.4 and has a Windows only exe method to push the firmware to the NUCs HDMI.

For my LE NUCs I created a bootable Windows 10 USB key and ran the firmware exe on that (it has a UI and won't run on DOS). After rebooting back to LE my Atmos/TrueHD passthrough now works perectly.

I have the zip I downloaded but no link on MS or Asus now Asus has take over NUC support.

• I'm making a portable version of Windows 10 on a USB Drive right now, but I can't find NUC8ixBE-HDMI-FW-Update-Version 1.78.4.0.4

I was able to find 1.78.4.0.3 and it's dated Dec 2020. Any idea where I can download the latest version? Asus hosts the BIOS Updates but not the HDMI Firmware update.

• Thanks Homerjau

How would I access the HDMI Firmware files once the Win 10 portable drive is installed and running on my NUC? Can I plug in another thumb drive with the files on it or move the files from my networked Win 10 desktop to a folder in Libreelec?

• Unzip and copy them into a folder on the Drive (e.g. C:\HDMI).

The Win system has a browser so you can download using that link. I think I whacked mine on my NAS and copied them from there.

I also have Samsung NVME SSDs so I installed the Samsung Magician s/w on the win usb to update the SSD firmware. (I'm ashamed to say I now own 4 x Intel NUC8s. So did them all. (Someone was selling used i5 BEHs on ebay for 190AUD inc 2 x 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and new power supplies)

• The HDMI Firmware update failed

I spent hours with the portable version of Windows 10 on the NUC. It was painfully slow with lots of reboots and Microsoft one-time codes and spinning circles, etc. I ran the HDMI FW Update program in administrator's mode and when I pressed "Get FW Version", that box lit up bright green with "ISP failed - could not connect". Same happened when I pressed "Start". It actually asked me first - are you sure.... and I said yes, but it failed again and again.