[RPi4] HDMI / Audio-Issue

• Hi,

i've uppgraded my pi1 to pi4 on an old Toshiba TV using HDMI. It worked fine with the old pi (libreelec9) and with an banana pi m2 ultra (libreelec10). now i've installed libreelec10 on the pi4, but i've problems...

first of all:

- checked it using an other tv (pi4b --hdmi --> marantz amp -- hdmi --> samsung tv): works fine. both image and audio

- no image at all (black screen) when connected to the toshiba tv. tried different cables: makes no difference

thanks to this forum i checked different things. what i've tried so far:

- switched to dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d in distroconfig.txt

--> got image. kodi only allows some resolutions, no full-hd (but that would be okay for me)

- adding hdmi_drive=2, hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080, hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_group=2 works. so far so good.

My problem is: i have no audio over hdmi. aplay -l doesn't list any devices. so i dumped edid-data. edid-decode shows, audio is supported. so i created an custom edid-overload as shown here: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/edid#generic-x86_64

and added it to cmdline.txt: drm.edid_firmware=edid/edid.bin

also added video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60

then switched back to the default-driver (vc4-kms-v3d).

no image is working using the new driver. but kodi has still no audio.

but: aplay -l lists the hdmi-devices. using speaker-test or playing wav-files through aplay works fine, there is audio over hdmi!

but kodi doesn't allow to select the device. only pulse-audio is available.

when restarting kodi (systemctl restart kodi) it works!

The old toshiba tv seems to be crappy, but it seems not be a general hardware-problem...

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot and greetz,

Karsten

• Thanks for your feedback.

I'll check that out and give you feedback on the next weekend, since i'm not at home right now.

I also tried a clean install of LE11, but no picture so i didn't dig any deeper. Maybe LE12 solves the problem - i'll find out

• Remove any config.txt changes and the edid bits from cmdline.txt and update to an LE12 nightly, then test again. There are specific fixes for display issues and LE10 is no longer maintained.

Tryed a clean install of LE12 nightly, but no lock. Same problem here, only black screen. But PI / LE is up and running (ping works).

I think, using edid-bits seems to be the only way for me by now. but how to solve the kodi startup issue? as said it's only working after a manual restart of the kodi service. i think this is a timeing or dependency-problem... (only tried on LE10, not on LE12. shall i test edid-bits with LE12?)

Thanks and greetz,

Karsten

• On LE 12...

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • I think, using edid-bits seems to be the only way for me by now. but how to solve the kodi startup issue?

Hi, maybe that Toshiba TV have some EDID issues. Your Samsung TV is (more or less) same as the Toshiba? Connect the RPi directly to Samsung, start the LE, set a low, standard resolution (720p or what is the default for Toshiba), connect with SSH and run "getedid create" command. Then try it with the Toshiba TV.

• Hi, maybe that Toshiba TV have some EDID issues. Your Samsung TV is (more or less) same as the Toshiba? Connect the RPi directly to Samsung, start the LE, set a low, standard resolution (720p or what is the default for Toshiba), connect with SSH and run "getedid create" command. Then try it with the Toshiba TV.

Just to clarify: It's working with my samsung tv, not working with the toshiba. I was able to extract edid-data for the toshiba using the old driver and new driver is working using a custom build edid-overload. but than i have no hdmi-audio until i restart the kodi-service.

On LE 12...Please provide a full debug log.

Here it is: https://paste.libreelec.tv/up-skylark.log

What i've done:
    - clean install of LE12
    - connected to working samsung tv
    - enabled ssh and activated debug log
    - poweroff
    - connected to non-working toshiba
    - logged into using ssh an dumped log.

seems to be related to edid-data: EDID block 0 (tag 0x00) checksum is invalid, remainder is 59

when starting rpi without sd-card it shows me checksum-error as well in debug-screen.

this toshiba worked finde with an rpi1 (LE9) and bananapi m2 ultra (LE10).

Thanks for your effort,
    greetz Karsten

• Finally i got it!

I had missed out a step building my edid-cpio: i did it manually, not using getedid and i didn't update config.txt (initramfs).
    Now it works (both LE10 und LE12, but only with custom edid). What i did:

Not using 'getedid create' but the single steps the script calls:

- dump-active-edids
    - now: replaced the dumped-edid-file with the edid-data i extracted using vc4-fkms-v3d (since dump-active-edids only gives an empty file with current driver)
    - call create-edid-cpio script
    - call update-bootloader-edid

rebooted and everything works fine.

but would be nice if it works out of the box.. i was only able to extract edid-data using the vc4-fkms-v3d driver, wich could be a problem in future releases, if support for vc4-fkms-v3d is beeing dropped completely.

Greetz,
    Karsten