CEC or Edid problem?

• Hi.

I recently switched to a pi5 (pi in use before) and have a small problem.

Everything runs fine, but for some reason when i power the pi on often it wont display a picture when the corresponding hdmi port gets automatically switched by the connected devices. (sometimes even if everything is already set to the correct ones)

The pi is connected to an AVR and that to the TV....TV & AVR are already turned on

I also already know why it happens.

For some reason the physical hdmi port (which can be set in the cec plugin options) gets switched to a random port number (most of the time 2020, 2200 or something) and sometimes the detected (AVR/TV becomes a playback device or so) device gets switched too. As this has never happend before at any point in the last 5 years with the pi4 (or the pi3 i used a while before that) so im not sure where the problem is.

Things i already tried.

Creating an custom edid through the command shell.

Tried different options in the cec plugin (that is why i know that everything works as intended when the physical port is the same as the set hdmi port....it is port 2 on the AVR btw.)

So my question is, can i fix that behavior in some way?

Or is it an issue with the libreelec software (or the cec plugin) and i need to report it as a bug and hope it gets resolved?

• What i forgot to mention at the time (and postings seem to not editable).

If that happens i can sometimes switch the hdmi input in the avr to some other port, wait a few seconds, swiotch back and the picture gets shown, other times i need to do a hard reset (probably a reboot would work too if i had some other control at hand which can cause that).

And here is a log.....no idea if it is any help at all, as that got created after a reboot (which i needed to do after a reboot as the Wireless connection was not active after the reboot when the detection problem happend..without debug log active) when that happend, and no idea if it internally always acts the same at that part (not even sure if it is completely a libreelec/kodi problem, as i do not know at which point at boot the hdmi detection kicks in)

https://paste.libreelec.tv/firm-ghoul.log

• I am seeing the same issue as OP. I have to power off the Pi5 then power it back on for it to be seen as an HDMI input by my AVR/Projector.

I have also tried edid create but this didn't resolve this, it seems to be some sort of edid problem.

The Kodi log file is showing this error:

2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info] Error parsing EDID:
    2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info] ----------------------------------------------
    2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info] Block 1, CTA-861 Extension Block:
    2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info] Speaker Allocation Data Block: Deprecated bit F16 must be 0.
    2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info]
    2024-04-22 19:04:51.263 T:963 error <general>: [display-info] ----------------------------------------------

Does this mean anything helpful?

• D4rk-M4tt3r

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • With projector (at HDMI-0) and AVR (at HDMI-1) powered on, run getedid delete and getedid create again.

Do you get an error message after one of those commands?

• No error messages, commands seem to work as execute, but this doesn't fix the issue:

LibreELEC (official): 11.95.2 (RPi5.aarch64)
    LibreELEC:~ # getedid delete
    successfully removed edid override
    LibreELEC:~ # getedid create
    successfully installed edid override for HDMI-A-1

• No error messages, commands seem to work as execute, but this doesn't fix the issue:

Note that you have to reboot after "getedid delete", otherwise the old edid will still be used. "getedid delete" followed by "getedid create" without reboot in between is a no-op.

so long,

Hias

• I did not reboot between ops, so repeated the steps, still with no luck:

LibreELEC:~ # getedid delete
    successfully removed edid override
    LibreELEC:~ # reboot

LibreELEC:~ # getedid create
    successfully installed edid override for HDMI-A-1
    LibreELEC:~ # reboot

When the AVR & Projector is powered on, the initial state is still Source: HDMI1 No Signal

• Set the GUI resolution in display settings to 1920x1080 and configure the whitelist - see https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/4k-hdr

so long,

Hias

That was it!

I changed the display resolution from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and now HDMI1 input from the RPi5 is seen on power up of the AVR & Projector. I also whitelisted the recommended resolutions but the step above is what solved my particular problem.

Thank you all for your help working this through to the end.