Raspberry PI 5

• Hey LibreElec community. I have just received my Raspberry PI 5 and put the latest nighty build `LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-12.0-nightly-20231101-e7215dd`.

After the resizing step, it rebooted, then I got a strange error (something about missing UUID and cannot boot), dropping to shell. Then I rebooted the device and Kodi came up!

First impression: so much faster then on my Raspberry 4. Thanks to the LibreElec team for supporting Raspberry 5!

• Thanks Chewitt!

I found one issue, that when I try to render anything with the provided ffmpeg, it's looking for the hardware encoder and fails:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/addons/tools.ffmpeg-tools/bin/ffmpeg -i /storage/test.mkv -codec:v:0 h264 /storage/output.m3u8

[h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x991e2a0] Could not find a valid device
    [h264_v4l2m2m @ 0x991e2a0] can't configure encoder

So instead I'm using docker to make use of the software encoding:

Code
    docker run --rm -v "/storage/:/storage/" lscr.io/linuxserver/ffmpeg:latest -i /storage/test.mkv -c:v libx264 /storage/output.m3u8
  • Also I tried both 11 nightly (1104) and 12 nightly (1103). 12 boots up and the screen flickers. 11 seems to be more stable. In any case, I didn't get very far without the TV remote working. Back to Pi3 for now...

Please let me know if you want me to collect anything to debug the CEC issue.

• Check and ensure the Kodi desktop resolution is 1080p not 4K?

I never use CEC so can't speak about that, but AFAIK it should work. I disable it in my AVR to prevent multiple test devices from fighting over who has control of the TV :)

• try to start your TV and then start the RPi

I have to use a generated edid then everything works (at all my LG TVs) https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/edid#raspberry-pi including CEC

Yeah the TV did start first. Also changing resolution to 1080p got rid of of the flickering. (11 also flickers, FYI, just not as bad as 12). I think I may just have HDMI cable/dongle. I'll go out today and buy a micro-hdmi cable that's 4K/60 capable. Maybe my CEC problem is due to the cable as well...

• [RPi5 and LibreELEC 11.0.5; RPi5 <--HDMI--> AVR <--HDMI--> TV ]

Followed the guide at https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/edid#generic-x86_64, with an active Video / Audio stream to my TV:

Code
    RaspyMedia:~ # getedid
    /usr/bin/getedid create|delete|help
    RaspyMedia:~ # getedid create
    successfully installed edid override for HDMI-A-1
    RaspyMedia:~ #

I've run the above block of code. However, if I turn my TV or AVR off and then back on, the TV still gets no signal until I either systemctl restart kodi, or switch my TV's input to another device and then switch it back to Kodi.

Is there something else besides running the getedid create that needs to be done? I did notice that this guide says that it should automatically reboot the device after running this command -- the script doesn't do that. [Already tried disabling the CEC peripheral in Kodi]

After a manual reboot of LibreElec, I do see some log messages that suggest that the changes took, however it doesn't seem to be matter when I restart my TV/AVR as no signal makes it through.

Code
    RaspyMedia:~ # journalctl -n 1000 | grep drm
    Jan 26 16:53:44 LibreELEC kernel: Kernel command line: reboot=w coherent_pool=1M 8250.nr_uarts=1 pci=pcie_bus_safe snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa=0 snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi=1  smsc95xx.macaddr=D8:3A:DD:E9:DF:ED vc_mem.mem_base=0x3fc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x40000000  boot=UUID=1101-3753 disk=UUID=d53f5147-210b-4710-9dc9-c2379f260f6c quiet console=ttyAMA10,115200 console=tty0 drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D
    Jan 26 16:53:44 LibreELEC kernel: [drm] forcing HDMI-A-1 connector on
    Jan 26 16:53:44 LibreELEC kernel: [drm] Got external EDID base block and 1 extension from "edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin" for connector "HDMI-A-1"

Anyone have suggestions for other things to try here to get my HDMI-A-1 interface to automatically come up when I turn on my TV/AVR?

• If you add vc4.force_hotplug=1 to cmdline.txt (on existing line) the the Pi will never know if the TV or AVR has been switched off.

It will be outputting exactly the same signal before and after. Does that change anything?