RPi5 USB boot problem

• Trying to get my raspi 5 running le12 from usb and having some issues with the usb port.

With my pi 4 I had a 4tb hdd attached and powered by one of the usb3 ports and a usb stick with libreelec running on the other usb3 port. This setup has been working fine for over 3 years.

With the pi 5 running this configuration, using the official psu, the system refuses to boot - nothing showing on the screen. However, if I connect the usb stick to a usb2 port and leave the hdd attached to the usb3 port everything works as it should.

The pi 5 firmware version is 6th December and I'm running the latest le12 nightly.

Any ideas or would I be better asking this on the raspberry pi forum.

Thanks in advance.

• An update on this issue. (BTW could a moderator please change the title to "RPI 5 USB boot issue" as it might get more exposure?)

I posted the same question on the Raspberry Pi forum and was led to there being a potential problem with libreelec.

I'm unsure if external links to other forums are allowed so in summary I listed my le cmdline.txt and output from blkid -o list to show that the UUIDs were the same (this was with the working le12 system running on a usb2 port) and confirmed that another os (bookworm installed on an ssd connected to the usb3 port along with the hdd on the other usb3 port) did boot as normal.

The response was:

That looks like libreelec is doing something funky with an initrd. It's probably best to ask them for help. It'd been years since I last used it.

unquote

Just to clarify - there is no issue booting le12 from a usb stick attached to a usb3 port as long as there is no hdd attached to the other usb3 port.