Which PVR for Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT9135 BDA Afatech DVB-T HDTV Dongle

• I have just installed LibreELEC and would like to see if my Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT9135 BDA Afatech DVB-T HDTV Dongle can be used with it?

Is there a suitable PVR for use with this device? I presume I would need to add a suitable driver but don't know how to go about doing this.

AFAICT a driver is available here:-

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/scripts/get_dvb_firmware

Do I need to extract it9135 and if so what should I do with it?

Thanks in advance.

• The best thing to do is plug the device in and then have a look at "dmesg" output. If the kernel has the driver and it's detected you should see the driver probe and load firmware. If it does we have Tvheadend 4.3 and VDR as back-end server apps that can be installed from the LE add-on repo. There aren't any specific guides on setting them up in our wiki, but both apps have their own project websites with their own documentation and a Google search will find up a ton of HOWTO articles.

• The best thing to do is plug the device in and then have a look at "dmesg" output.

How do I get to see dmesg output?

Is a command prompt available anywhere?

Actually, I managed to login via ssh.

lsusb shows:-

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 048d:9006 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT9135 BDA Afatech DVB-T HDTV Dongle

but there is no indication as to whether a driver is present.

• Once I realised I needed to login via ssh, I knew what to do... It's just initially I thought there was some way to get to a command prompt locally.

ls /dev/dvb/adapter0/ . You should see frontend0 is present if the driver successfully loaded

In that directoty I have:-

demux0
    dvr0
    frontend0
    net0

so I guess the driver has been loaded. How do I know which PVR to select?

Edited once, last by balanga: Merged a post created by balanga into this post. (December 18, 2023 at 5:09 PM).

• You could also install NextPVR and pvr.nextpvr should also work with it.

Another option is to test with dvbv5-scan to see if your tuner scans channels independently from the backend.

• That's unnecessary, there is no more effort required loading NextPVR then TVHeadend. You may not have set the tuner up in the server. certainly, pvr.nextpvr will not load until the server is running. If you want help you can go to the NextPVR forums and we can help you further https://forums.nextpvr.com

Just getting the device installed above is just the first step. You still need to pick your scan file, tune your device and assuming the signal is good, pick your channels and set up the EPG.

Martin

• Clearly there is. I think the statement above “I get NextPVR couldn't be loaded” is the giveaway here.

Once the TVH server and client addon are installed it can be quickly configured via the TVH Wizard from a remote session on any browser.

• The assumption being is the remote web configuration is done on NextPVR or TVHeadend on any browser. That configuration part wasn't made clear earlier when I said "install"

• To be honest we should be actively encouraging users to go the open source software route first and keeping with the spirit of the LE project. If that’s not possible by all means look at the closed source options and clearly Next PVR is a closed source commercial option albeit free to use on an individual basis.

• I mostly see people trash-talking 4.3 because there's no direct upgrade path from 4.2 (and thus some effort is needed to make the switch) and because development has rolled on forever which created the wrong impression. If there's a factual problem (not an opinion problem) it needs to be reported.

• That's not my case. I have no problem with configuration from scratch, even with fresh configuration there are some issues I had already reported here (yes I should perhaps put the reports to Kodi & Tvheadend forums as well but as the both are used in LE, I thought some day the reports could be reflected). Unfortunately as the issues are related to DVB-T2 which looks to be less used across users, the priority is low. I respect that free time of developers is limited but it's true TVH progress is very slow. Nevertheless, yet TVH 4.2 is a great product and still better product than others (I have tested) and than TVH 4.3 as well.

I’ve been using 4.3 Alpha for quite a while and have found no issues or incompatibilities. Could you elaborate a little.

Please look at some of my earlier posts. I was experiencing a configuration issue with adding the first DVB-T network / channel. There's also an incompatibility with Kodi - subtitles are not shown at some DVB-T channels (in fact shown 'behind the corner' while recording is OK including subtitles). I can't remember any advantage of 4.3 over 4.2 so after a long torture with subtitles issue (tried to find the root of the issue but failed and nobody here could help), I have finally reverted to 4.2.

Now I am observing if the another annoying and old issue with randomly undetected audio streams is also related with TVH 4.3 or if it's the same with 4.2 (the next possible reason could possibly be the USB DVB-T2 tuner).

Edited 2 times, last by ghtester: Merged a post created by ghtester into this post. (December 27, 2023 at 10:23 AM).