[RPi5] Audio Interruptions

• Kodi 12 nightly. TVHeadend on a different server.

I have a problem with missing sound, randomly, about 10 times per minute, for about 1 second. This happens while watching live tv with tvheadend. It also happens when recording and replaying - but NOT when replaying old records done with Raspi 4B.

I enabled general debugging and component debugging for audio and for audio/video timing, but there was nothing in the logs.

I am now back on Raspi 4B, sound is OK again.

• Are you using adjust-refresh and whitelisted modes to play media at native resolution/refresh or forcing everything to 60Hz? I'm not seeing any issues from a current TVH setup and my server is 6,000Km away down a WireGuard tunnel (this generally encourages any latent issues to show up).

• Pi 5 goes to Yamaha RX-V685 goes to a 4K TV.

Replacing the cable from Pi 5 to the Yamaha fixed the problem. I have no idea if this cable is 2.0 or whatever, but it looks more expensive.

Could it be that the Pi 5 produces a higher HDMI data rate than the Pi 4? Why is that so with the same video material? DVB-S2, HD. If so, that might be worth mentioning in future upgrade instructions. Or reduce the HDMI data rate to what is really needed for the actual video.

• Da Flex I might do that when new problems arise. My hope was that maybe somebody just knows. If it takes too much time I just go back to Raspi 4 and wait a few months.

But right now everything works perfectly. The first time I can really watch my Gopro 4K@60 videos on a Raspi.

• Pi 5 goes to Yamaha RX-V685 goes to a 4K TV.

Replacing the cable from Pi 5 to the Yamaha fixed the problem. I have no idea if this cable is 2.0 or whatever, but it looks more expensive.

Could it be that the Pi 5 produces a higher HDMI data rate than the Pi 4? Why is that so with the same video material? DVB-S2, HD. If so, that might be worth mentioning in future upgrade instructions. Or reduce the HDMI data rate to what is really needed for the actual video.

Different HDMI output resolutions, frame rates and bit depths require different bandwidth HDMI cables. I think both the Pi 4B and Pi 5 can output the higher bandwidth 18Gbs modes in 2160p60 4:2:2 12-bit (there isn't a 4:2:2 10-bit option in HDMI 2.0). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

However it could be that your previous set-up with a Pi 4B didn't try to use 18Gbs modes and your Pi 5 set-up is?