RK3328 4K HEVC stutter frame drop

• Hello,

Have been having issues playing 4K HEVC on my roc-rk3328-cc device. This is over Samba share. 1080p and under plays just fine. I've made tweaks to frame rate and set the menu to run at 1080p but nothing helps. I've search some on here but haven't found anything recently with folks having issues. Is there anything I can do to tweak the device? I think I am running nightly builds but can't remember. I believe mine is from end of September but I don't know exact build.

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Thanks chewitt. Will get some logs today. I figured that would be a good start but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on settings or possibly overclocking something to help out.

Edited 2 times, last by FurmanSK: Merged a post created by FurmanSK into this post. (October 31, 2023 at 5:56 PM).

• I used a fresh nightly 12.0 build with no addons added or anything. I setup my network storage and then tried to play one of two 4k H265 files and at first it stuttered. Then I went in and set the UI menu to be 1080p and then the auto refresh to start/stop and went back to that file and it played fine shockingly. Then I tried the only other 4K movie I have and it did the stuttering and audio was off too. I will add, the first 4K movie is only 17GB, the second one is 66GB but I have it on 1Gig Ethernet so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue but I guess its not out of the question.

My recent log I collected from that is http://ix.io/4KsR

• Code
    2023-10-31 18:21:47.662 T:1637     info <general>: CDVDVideoCodecDRMPRIME::Open - using decoder HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding)
    2023-10-31 18:21:47.688 T:1637    error <general>: CDVDVideoCodecDRMPRIME::FilterOpen - avfilter_graph_config:  Function not implemented (-38)

Go to Settings -> Player -> Videos (Expert mode), and disable "Allow using DRM PRIME decoder".

• Ok, tried and it made it worse. Both movies I have played awful. The first movie that was working with that setting on became choppy and unplayable and had to "buffer". Is there something wrong with a config for the hardware I have?

Thanks for looking Da Flex

• Code
    Sep 27 09:31:43.899866 LibreELEC fsck: fsck.fat 4.2 (2021-01-31)
    Sep 27 09:31:43.900160 LibreELEC fsck: /dev/mmcblk0p1: 12 files, 18046/65501 clusters
    Sep 27 09:31:43.900307 LibreELEC fsck: STORAGE: recovering journal
    Sep 27 09:31:43.900443 LibreELEC fsck: STORAGE contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    Sep 27 09:31:43.900812 LibreELEC fsck: STORAGE: Orphan file (inode 12) block 2 is not clean.
    Sep 27 09:31:43.901246 LibreELEC fsck: CLEARED.
    2023-10-31 18:11:02.331 T:924     error <general>: SETTINGS: load_file # Error: Failed to read file: /storage/.config/boot.status

Maybe bad microSD?

• So it didn't boot up right the first time after it does its partition resize. Had to unplug and plug back in and it worked.

https://imgur.com/a/tidweP9

Thing is, this is literally brand new Samsung SD I just opened the package today. Its 128GB Pro one, can't remember exact name but its not a cheap one.

You'll also notice the green lines in that attached video. It's always done that when booting up but once in Kodi, it's fine.

Is there a 40 min limit to posting? Would have had up sooner.

• Interesting. Had I known about this, I wouldn't have bought the 128GB, but then again they were very cheap haha. Guess I'll try to snag a 32GB one. But this shouldn't interfere with playback should it? I mean I had this issue on I believe an 8GB or 16GB SD card too.

• Interesting. Had I known about this, I wouldn't have bought the 128GB, but then again they were very cheap haha. Guess I'll try to snag a 32GB one. But this shouldn't interfere with playback should it? I mean I had this issue on I believe an 8GB or 16GB SD card too.

Who knows but it really does pay to do a search first. So many posting these days without doing one first.

• Yeah I hear ya but I wouldn't have thought to search for what SD cards work with this before buying as it shouldn't be an issue.

The real issue is the playback which I don't think the SD card is exactly the issue being that I do streaming from my Samba share. And the fact that my other card was 16GB and still did this same thing.

• Thing is, this is literally brand new Samsung SD I just opened the package today. Its 128GB Pro one, can't remember exact name but its not a cheap one.

Can you reboot, and have a look at the next kodi.log? If the errors of #11 don't appear after that, fine.