Suggestions please for a new LE or Kodi box

• Hi. Thanks for reading. Am after suggestions for a box capable of hosting LE or kodi. Just wasted £200 on a zidoo z9x pro only to find it does not accept kodi, just a fork version.

I need a box that has good quality analog out through the rear rca out jacks for stereo audio. For playing back files from a local hard drive only. No internet, no weather forecasting, no bit torrent downloader, only local files. Also a box that is reliable, with a low failure rate.

Not a pc like raspberry pi, something like dune, nvidia sheild, zidoo, zapatti etc

Thanks

• Recycled RPi3 or a current RPi4 (or RPi5 once it ships in a few weeks) with an analogic DAC card (HAT) to create the RCA outputs. It's a little bit more fiddly to assemble than something that ships in an all-in-one box, but it should be cheaper than £200, and it's based on the most reliable hardware that we support. Lots of Pi DAC cases available here: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-audio-cases and most DAC cards give really good quality audio output, unlike the all-in-one boxes intended for HDMI use where analogue is an afterthought.

• Would you recommend a 4 or 8GB Rpi5 for running LE?

I'm happy to buy either, but will skip the extra spend if it's not going to be necessary. My video collection is mostly 720p/1080p, but I'll be upgrading to 4k for much of the collection as time allows.

• Would you recommend a 4 or 8GB Rpi5 for running LE?

I wouldn't look at the 8GB model unless planning to run containers and such in the background. For normal LE use a 2GB board would be fine so the lower spec 4GB board is more than enough.

• I wouldn't look at the 8GB model unless planning to run containers and such in the background. For normal LE use a 2GB board would be fine so the lower spec 4GB board is more than enough.

TYVM!

My old Asus Chromebox Kodi box is on its last legs and needs to be replaced, so at the end of the month when the RPi5 comes out, it's a quick trip to MicroCenter to pick up the new pieces and put the old gal to rest.

I run all my dockers on my file server, so no need for them here.