LE11 on NUC black screen after LibreELEC logo 9 out of 10 boots

• Upgraded via fresh install from perfectly stable LE9 to LE11.0.3 due to a core add-on no longer functional.

• NUC6CAYH, 4G, 160G, Ethernet
    • 1080p projector via HDMI (1080p TV for testing stuff without wasting lamp ignitions)
    • Remote mysql video database, shared with two other Kodi 20.2 instances on laptop and PC (love that feature)

LE11 does not boot reliably:

• If it boots successfully (happens roughly 1 out of 10 tries)
      • it shows the LibreELEC logo for some seconds
      • then the Kodi splash screen and everything works fine and stable
    • If it does not boot
      • it shows the LibreELEC logo for some seconds
      • screen goes black for some seconds
      • logo comes back and that repeats until I force-shutdown the NUC

Legacy image shows same behavior.

I already swapped quiet for debug in syslinux.cfg.

Countermeasures tried until now:

• Updated BIOS to 0076 (July 2023)
    • Updated HDMI firmware to 1.77 (January 2020) using another HDD and W10
    • Booting without Ethernet

journalctl > http://ix.io/4GUT there you see a few failed boots and a successful one in the end

Similar symptoms:

Both issues do not happen on 11.0.1, but that did not change anything for me.

• I did 20 boots - and can't really spot a difference between warm and cold. But it definitely got kind of better with the nightly:

BootSuccessFail
    Cold65
    Warm45
    Details
    Boot Success Fail
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
  • And another 20 boots, but with released 11.0.3 for comparison:

BootSuccessFail
    Cold411
    Warm14
    Details
    Boot Success Fail
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
  • I would recommend testing/using LE12 nightlies as those have much newer kernels and mesa code.

Agree. Was the next step on my list.

0ptr You find them here. Kernel is currently 6.5.3.

As side effect you will get Kodi 21alpha. Create a system backup to be able to get back to LE11 again.

• Da Flex I am a bit unsure how to interpret your instructions. When it fails to boot, sshd is not running (see the journal logs). And does the loglevel setting affect some component before Kodi is loaded? The boot process stalls way before Kodi is launched.

As requested, I updated to LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20230925-49b4b86. The boot statistics match very closely with 11 nightly. By the way, this is not copy-paste, just the summary is exactly the same as 11 nightly boot, in the details you see the slight differences.

Boot Success Fail
    Cold 6 5
    Warm 4 5
    Details
    Boot Success Fail
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Warm 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
    Cold 1
  • Guess: because the hang is at the time of network device initialization and there is a history of errors in r8169 driver with ASPM try the pcie_aspm=off kernel parameter in syslinux.cfg

• So, back again - sometimes life prioritizes other things than your home cinema...

mglae I tried 11.0-nightly-20230911-0722cfe with pcie_aspm=off. Verified the parameter in dmesg, it reads PCIe ASPM is disabled.

Boot Success Fail
    Cold 6 3
    Warm 6 5

Slightly better, but I would consider that not statistically relevant.

Da Flex Then I installed Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Kernel 6.2) and did 20 boots. Wow that is slow compared to libreelec, now I appreciate the just-enough-os even more. After 10 successful warm boots, I switched to shutting it down and doing cold boots, to get some into the statistics.

Boot Success Fail
    Cold 10 0
    Warm 10 0
  • I understand that the wide range of devices LE is running on is challenging to support. The Wife Acceptance Factor of the current state is too low ("lets just use the tablet") and there is no solution in sight, so I switched to Linuxmint Xfce with Kodi in autostart - it gets the job done.

Thank you for your effort trying to solve the problem.