syslinux fail to initialize ptp_kvm

• Hi,

during boot time I receive this error.

After POST it stuck here for about 1+ min

then the error appear for a fraction of a sec

and finaly kodi start as nothing was appended.

I have install LibreELEC Generic legacy 11.0.3 on my Packard Bell EasyNote TM85 JO 198IT with a 64Gb Kingston SSD and 4Gb RAM

Here some logs:

dmesg (you can se the error at [ 1.300040] fail to initialize ptp_kvm)dmesg.txt

# cat /proc/modules

lscpu

lspci

At the end LibreELEC boot as normal and I can watch movies, listen music ecc... the annoying part is the 1+ min boot time every start... it's unbearable.

I don't know what else I can do, if you need more info just ask.
    Thank you.

• a) With kernel 6.1.38 the message fail to initialize ptp_kvm is printed at any boot on non-ARM systems. Ignore it.

b) dmesg is not showing the complete boot process, please use journalctl or better pastekodi for most complete logs.

c) My wild guess: kernel load via systinux is very slow or kernel initialization stuck for some time. To see more please do:

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    nano /flash/syslinux.cfg

and replace quiet with debug and reboot.

• Hi,

I'm on the latest nigtly LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20230929-0a666e5.img.gz but I always have the same problem

pastekodi trow an error

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # pastekodi
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
      what():  No modesetting DRM card found
    Aborted (core dumped)

add this is journalctl.txt

I have just test debian 11 with kernel 5.10 and upgrade to debian 12 kernel 6.1.0, boot like a charm there is no trace of ptp_kvm error in journalctl.

Does the old Libreelec generic 10.0.4 image contain nvidia drivers?

• Code
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: ================ WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING ================
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: This server has a video driver ABI version of 25.2 that this
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: driver does not officially support.  Please check
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or downgrade to an X
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: server with a supported driver ABI.
    Sep 10 11:57:56.355406 LillyELEC xorg-launch[1067]: =================================================================

I guess you have to downgrade LE to get the right NVIDIA driver: Click!

• I guess you have to downgrade LE to get the right NVIDIA driver: Click!

You can ignore that. It's just default log spam when the Xorg and driver ABI versions aren't quite aligned. If you get output (Kodi starts) things are working enough to ignore the warning.

I'd go back to the LE10 image and run "systemd-analyze plot > /storage/boot.svg" and then export the .svg file generated and open it in a browser. It will show a graphical display of the boot process and might flag where something's hanging and/or timing out.

• Hi,

yesterday in a "why not" mode I install Arch to test something different, boot like normal but in journal i found different error repeated twice:

set 29 17:22:03 LillyELEC kernel: kvm_intel: VM_EXIT_LOAD_IA32_PERF_GLOBAL_CTRL does not work properly. Using workaround
    kernel version 6.3.9-arch1-1

I don't know if it can help.

In the next days I will try LE 10, we will see.