RPI3 11.0.3 or 11.0.1 HDMI CEC slow initialization

• I have migrated Kodi on RPI3 from Version 9 to 11.0.3. Nearly all works fine. Only the HDMI CEC initialization (to Samsung Smart TV) needs much longer time than before.

On Version 9, it needs about 5 seconds. Now, it takes about 60 seconds, until the initialzation is complete and Kodi can be operated from the Samsung Remote Control .

I have tested the HDMI Connection to all 4 TV inputs and also going back to Version 11.0.1, but the problem is always the same.

• yes, i loaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0.3.img.gz to a brand new SD 4GB Class 10 and made a new installation.

With another installation on a second sd there ist the same problem.

• Hmm, I'm using RPi3B+ with Panasonic TV, and CEC initialization works as always. Please provide a log after CEC has been initialized.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Hello Da Flex,

thank you for your fast answer!

For I have the german language selected, I hope to generate the right logging...

Have selected logging and component logging for libCEC

Than generated the log file. its name is http://ix.io/4EUM

My TV is a Samsung UE40H6470 from 2015. Worked with no problem with all previous Kodi versions.

regards, Helmut

• Code
    2023-08-30 16:11:02.590 T:847     error <general>: AddOnLog: pvr.dvbviewer: Unable to open url: http://127.0.0.1:8089/api/version.html
    2023-08-30 16:11:02.590 T:847      info <general>: AddOnLog: pvr.dvbviewer: Connection to the backend server failed. Retrying in 10 seconds...

Please disable this add-on, and try again.

• Code
    2023-08-30 23:27:53.167 T:853     debug <general>: CecLogMessage - << requesting power status of 'TV' (0)

This message appears several times, and indicates a bad CEC connection. Try a different HDMI cable.

• I checked it. My Samsung TV has 4 HDMI Inputs.

On any of the 4 Inputs CEC initialization takes about 1 minute to complete.

Then I tried the same with 2 brand new HDMI cables. It takes also about 1 minute.

I made a new installation with LibreELEC 9.2.8 Kodi 18.9.0 Leia 2021-07-06

With this SD the CEC initialization is complete in less than 5 seconds on any of the 4 HDMI ports.

For I can't search the problem in the sources and build my own implementation, I will go back to 9.2.8 and make no more tries with 11.

• Thanks for testing a different HDMI cable!

It's also possible that the system is waiting for network connection, before CEC gets initialized.

If you don't need WiFi, disable it on LE's settings.

If you have specific Ethernet settings for LE on your router, check them.

• WLAN was always, and is, disabeled.

In the router, there are no specific settings for this RPI.

I will stop the work with LibreELEC 11 and use 9.2.8 or 9.2.6 in the future.

Maybe I try another LibreElec version in a year or so.

Thank you for your help.

• You can wait another year, but I don't think it will fix the problem. I'm familiar with RPi issues, because I'm reading the forum all the time. To my knowledge, you're the only one with such an issue.

Any chance to try the RPi on another TV? Maybe your TV is defective (see post #8).

• Hello Da Flex,

in total I have 3 Samsung TV's with 3 total identical RPI3. The behavior is different.

Wih LE 9.6 or 9.8, all work in any combination.

With LE 11.0.1 or 11.0.3,

The oldest TV, a UE40F6500 (model from 2013)worked ok, the CEC initializes in about 4 seconds.

The newest TV, a UE50MU6179 (from 2018) initializes in 2 seconds.

Another TV, a UE40H6470 from 2014 initializes sometimes in 50 seconds, sometimes in 80 seconds. But then, all works ok.

Unfortunately, this one is used by my wife, and she is not very patient.

All TV's had the newest Software from Samsung.

So for me, the CEC implementation in LE looks different for different levels of the TV.

I don't use many Kodi functions. I only display file lists from my windows folder(about 12.000 videos), select one and let it play.

During the tests I have not found advantages with LE11 over LE9.

So it is best (for me) to freeze the installation and try again later (maybe LE 12 or so) or wait until I have replaced the failing TV.