[HD-Idle Add-on] Works Once Per Boot

• I have a new Seagate HD plugged into RPi 4b running LE 10.0.4 . This drive spins down by itself after 10 minutes of inactivity on Mac, Win, and DD-WRT, but not LE10. I have HD-Idle from repository installed and added autostart.sh to launch it.

It works as expected the first time there is inactivity; the drive spins down and its drive activity LED turns off. It wakes up and works again just fine, but the drive LED never comes back on and it won't spin down again the next time there is inactivity until after a reboot. Then it will work one more time again until the next reboot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

• The add-on is System Tools 10.0.0.134 from Team LibreELEC.

The command currently is "hd-idle". I've also used "hd-idle -i 0 -a sda -i 300", which makes the timeout 5 minutes instead of the default 10, but the problem of only working once remains.

Not sure how to tell if the daemon is running. Under System/Add-Ons/Running, the only listing is LibreELEC Configuration 10.0 both before and after the drive spins down and back up again. It's not spinning back up correctly, in that the drive's indicator LED is on before spin-down, but never comes back on until after a reboot, even though the drive is working otherwise.

I have Debug logging on, but don't see any odd errors in KODI.log or System.log. There are a couple of lines of text that flash by in the upper left corner of the black screen during shutdown, but they go by too fast to read. Is that stored somewhere?

Thanks for the replies-

• Anode

It is difficult to have an explanation for your problem because you tell us almost nothing. So, I will explain what I do and I assure you that it works perfectly:

My system consists of three drives, 'sda' is the LE drive, and 'sdb' and 'sdc' are my USB storage drives, in these conditions I run the following commands in /storage/.config/autostart.sh :

/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.system-tools/bin/hd-idle -a sdb -i 300 -l /storage/hd-idle.log

/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.system-tools/bin/hd-idle -a sdc -i 300 -l /storage/hd-idle.log

• To recap:

LibreELEC 10.0.4

System Tools 10.0.0.134 from Team LibreELEC

Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB

Seagate Expansion STKP14000402 14TB

USB drive spins down once, but after spinning back up, the drive's LED is out and it won't spin down again until a reboot.

As per elonesna's example, I modified the command in /storage/.config/autostart.sh to match my configuration:

"/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.system-tools/bin/hd-idle -a sda -i 300 -l /storage/hd-idle.log"

With the Seagate Expansion STKP14000402 drive, behavior was unchanged from my previous commands. (It spins down once, but after spinning back up, the drive's LED is out and it won't spin down again until a reboot.)

I decided to shut down and swap a 2TB Ext4-formatted WestenDigital drive for the 14 TB ExFat-formatted Seagate. I didn't change anything else, and the WesternDigital drive spins down, back up, and down again as expected. Its LED also works correctly after spinning down and up multiple times.

Working properly with one drive and not the other makes me think the configuration is basically correct, but there's an incompatibility with that Seagate drive. Commands tried-

"hd-idle"

"hd-idle -i 0 -a sda -i 300"

"/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.system-tools/bin/hd-idle -a sda -i 300 -l /storage/hd-idle.log"

Here's the complete hd-idle.log contents, annotated as to which drive was connected:

Seagate

date: 2023-07-08, time: 18:51:35, disk: sda, running: 330, stopped: 61

WesternDigital

date: 2023-07-08, time: 20:51:54, disk: sda, running: 300, stopped: 511

date: 2023-07-08, time: 21:39:55, disk: sda, running: 301, stopped: 2580

date: 2023-07-08, time: 22:07:58, disk: sda, running: 302, stopped: 1381

Thanks again for the help-

• Working properly with one drive and not the other makes me think the configuration is basically correct, but there's an incompatibility with that Seagate drive.

In that case upgrade to latest LE with latest Linux kernel to get up-to-date drivers.

• Good suggestion, Da Flex. Unfortunately, the behavior was completely unchanged after updating to LE 11.0.1 .

To recap:

LibreELEC 11.0.1

System Tools 11.0.0.1 from Team LibreELEC "/storage/.kodi/addons/virtual.system-tools/bin/hd-idle -a sda -i 300"

Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB

Seagate Expansion STKP14000402 14TB

USB drive spins down once, but after spinning back up, the drive's LED is out and it won't spin down again until a reboot.

Swapping a 2TB Ext4-formatted WestenDigital drive for the 14 TB ExFat-formatted Seagate, and the WesternDigital drive spins down, back up, and down again as expected. Its LED also works correctly after spinning down and up multiple times.

Thanks again.