[ASRock J3455-ITX] TrueHD and ​DTS-HD not working

• Hi,

My Question:

Does anybody own a Asrock J3455-ITX with working TrueHD and DTS-DH passthrough?
    ➢If so, which LSPCON MCDP2800 firmware version is installed?

Does anybody own a NUC with a J3455

➢ with working TrueHD and DTS-DH passthrough?

➢ with NOT working TrueHD and DTS-DH passthrough but LSPCON MCDP2800 firmware >= 1.66 ?

I Own an Asrock J3455-ITX (Bios v1.80) since 5 years.

It was connected to a Philips 8503 and the S/PDIF of the TV with the AVR.

Simple setup that worked with this passthrough (J3455_HDMI➢TV_HDM➢TV_Optical➢AVR_Optical):

➢ Dolby Digital (AC3) capable Receiver ➢ OFF

➢ Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding ➢ OFF

Since LibreELEC 11 with HDR :thumbup:

Now a new AVC (Denon x3800h) arrived.

J3455_HDMI➢AVR_HDMI➢TV_HDMI

An annoying HDMI handshake problem came up. A lot of reading an understanding followed.

Then most my test files worked with this settings:

Sync Playback to Display ➢ off

Delay after change of refresh rate ➢ 8 sec =O

Adjust display refresh rate ➢ On start/stop

Whitelist ➢ (all 4K combinations)

But some files left unplayable, no difference with more then 8 sec delay after refresh rate change
    ➢ Playback start ➢ Black Screen ➢ Playback Continue ➢ Black Screen ➢ ...

So not a satisfying solution, HDMI handshake did not work.

So i found out that the MCDP2800 for DisplayPort1.2a-to-HDMI 2.0 is a big troublemaker (Bug 98797 - [BXT/KBL] - HDMI - HD audio passthrough dont work)

Happily a second SSD with Windows is available, so no big effort to update the firmware of the MCDP2800.

First try was to take one of the latest firmware versions (1.77) for the MCDP2800:

HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC6CAYH, NUC6CAYS

Started LibreELEC and all HDMI Handshake problems where gone.

Delay after change of refresh rate ➢ 0 sec :thumbup:

Even the unplayable files worked again.

Now the next step followed, but I got stuck!

The audio passthrough settings that are working/not working:

➢ Dolby Digital (AC3) capable Receiver ➢ ON

➢ Dolby Digital Plus - EAC3 ➢ ON

➢ DTS capable receiver ➢ ON

TrueHD capable receiver ➢ OFF

DTS-HD capable receiver ➢ OFF
    ➢ Core only ➢ ON

Next thought:

Using the v1.66 Firmware! Many NUC owners talked about v1.66 in context of a working HD-Audio passthrough.

But same result as before, nothing better or worse.

Next thought Linux vs. Win:

"Same" passthrough result with Win10 and VLC: No Atoms/TrueHD or DTS-HD

Reading the logs lead me also not into a helpful direction.

Nerveless here is a log with some try&error: LOG

Any help would be appreciated!

• Simple setup that worked with this passthrough (J3455_HDMI➢TV_HDM➢TV_Optical➢AVR_Optical):

➢ Dolby Digital (AC3) capable Receiver ➢ OFF

Simple setup that worked with this passthrough (J3455_HDMI➢TV_HDM➢TV_Optical➢AVR_Optical):

➢ Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding ➢ ON

• Now it is solved: TrueHD and DTS-HD passthrough to my Denon under Win 10 and Librelec!

An update to HDMI Firmware for LSPCon 1.79.1.1 was the solution.

NUC7ixDN-HDMI_FW_Update_Tool-1.79.1.1

➢ Dolby Digital Plus - EAC3 ➢ ON

➢ DTS capable receiver ➢ ON

TrueHD capable receiver ➢ ON

DTS-HD capable receiver ➢ ON

• Old thread but you used the nuc7 firmware on a nuc6? Where did you get 1.79 have you still got a copy? The latest Intel have is just 1.77 for the nuc6, they don't have any hdmi firmware listed for the nuc7 or nuc8 and the latest softpedia have is 1.78.

• I tested 1.78 a while back, seemed to help at the time:

Thanks, I'll grab it from softpedia, it's weird but Intel have pulled all hdmi firmwares other than for the nuc6 (maybe migrated them to windows update, I'm not sure.

• Thanks, I'll grab it from softpedia, it's weird but Intel have pulled all hdmi firmwares other than for the nuc6 (maybe migrated them to windows update, I'm not sure.

Actually, NUC 7-13 technical and warranty support has moved to ASUS now (they bought it). There is a link as I recall when searching the NUC section on Intel's download center.

To find my Intel NUC in Asus support site I had to search on my model number.

It doesn't look like everything is over as yet (I didn't see my HDMI firmware listed but know Intel had it earlier in January). But for example I found the HDMI firmware for a NUCI7DNH.

Offered in case it helps.

• Actually, NUC 7-13 technical and warranty support has moved to ASUS now (they bought it). There is a link as I recall when searching the NUC section on Intel's download center.

To find my Intel NUC in Asus support site I had to search on my model number.

It doesn't look like everything is over as yet (I didn't see my HDMI firmware listed but know Intel had it earlier in January). But for example I found the HDMI firmware for a NUCI7DNH.

Offered in case it helps.

That's great thanks, I've spent ages looking and couldn't find a trace of 1.79.1.1 anywhere other than the odd reference to some CVE security issues, no changelogs to see what it resolves but I've got a second NUC6CAYS on the way so will update both when the 2nd arrives.

• michael123 Can you let me know if they work after the LSPCon update. I have a Coffeelake setup which just will not work with HBR Audio in Linux but is fine in Windows (Seems quite a few people have this issue). I changed from the internal LSPCon to a new Club3D CAC-1088 on the Displayport but although this is consistent/reliable it still does not work with HBR Bitstream in Linux. Some people have suggested that LE10 has less issues with LSPCons but that is not an option for me.

• Krobar I have two NUC8i3BEH with LE that would not play HBR TrueHD Atmos or DTS-HDMA when I recently bought a new Denon AVR-X4800H (HDMI 2.1).

I eventually fixed by doing a HDMI firmware update on both. All good now. BTW: My NUC11 TNK was good without any HDMI firmware update.

Biggest issue, was needing to create a Windows 10 usb image to boot the NUCs to run the Win Intel HDMI updater, as I could only find the Win update app on the web. If you need the files let me know.

• I'm not using NUCs but am using a Coffelake/Kabylake motherboard which is using a different brand of Displayport to HDMI converter chip (LSPCON) to your NUCs (Paradetech instead of Megachips).

Still not sure why HBR audio is not working for me but it useful to know the LSPCON/HDMI update fixed it for you.

• michael123 Can you let me know if they work after the LSPCon update. I have a Coffeelake setup which just will not work with HBR Audio in Linux but is fine in Windows (Seems quite a few people have this issue). I changed from the internal LSPCon to a new Club3D CAC-1088 on the Displayport but although this is consistent/reliable it still does not work with HBR Bitstream in Linux. Some people have suggested that LE10 has less issues with LSPCons but that is not an option for me.

I'll see if I can in the next few days, our amp isn't HDMI 2.0 capable so we run the nuc direct into the TV and use optical out for the audio, but I'll see if I can give it a go through the amp, it'll just be 1080P, but that won't matter for the audio.

Seems to work fine, old Sony amp correctly identified Dolby True HD with pass through over HDMI. Running Libreelec 11.0.6 (latest). Gone back to direct to HDMI direct to TV and optical for audio now. Obviously lost out on passthrough/hbr audio (normally 5.1 will do for us) but gained 4k/hdr so swings and roundabouts.