Upgrade / Fresh Install version 11 rebooting over and over.

• I had version 10.?? running fine on a x86 environment.

I decided to upgrade to 11. I created USB install key using the tools provided by LibreElec and Re installed from scratch. Wiped away everything. The install seemed to go flawlessly. Even saved install Log.

When it reboots it boots now into the splash screen, then after a bit I see a mouse pointer on screen and can move it around, I wait. The mouse flickers a few times, then finally for a split second I see the splash screen again and then it reboots and goes through the whole process again and again.

I have used a boot key to look at the drive and it looks like there is lots of files there. I saw that its suppose to after 5 reboots go to a safe screen. It does not.

I'm not exactly sure how to get any log files off of it. But are there any preliminary steps I can take to try to get it booted. Then maybe I will have to try to get logs off somehow.

There is a crash folder (I think its called from memory)

Thanks.

• Update on my situation.

I have tried several installs. Same issue. One time I went in and blew away everything and partiions, then recreated and formatted as ntfs, (Because I have have seen sometimes linux likes to blow this away. ) after this it did the same eg. continuous rebooting but before failing it said

failed to start iwd.services,

dbus.services

pulseaudio.service ,

systemd-logind.service,

connman-vpn.service

and maybe one other failure message but i didnt get it.

Does that help ??

Its like its getting almost done, eg there is video, a mouse then reboots.

I changed the HD thinking maybe its bad, but this did not work.

I remind you this worked fine on version 10.

Anybody want to take a stab at it ?

Thanks.

• Well thanks. Odd since it worked before on 10 ?

If I got onto drive and added the below code and uploaded files would that help narrow things down a bit. Thats what I think I see in the wiki.

If this did work, do I upload the last zip again ? If not what can I provide to help diagnose?

Code
    <advancedsettings>   
    <loglevel>2</loglevel>
    </advancedsettings>
  • Did you try the legacy or the generic build?

I've had the same problem with the legacy image of 11.0. I wanted to try that first on my outdated J4105, but neither update nor new install worked, only dozens of reboots and no safe screen. Even after a second download of the image, the same behaviour. Then I switched to the generic build and that worked without a problem.

• It's another Intel Gen3 GPU like in this thread. Intel GMA 950 Graphics, chip set Lakeport 950G.

Gen3 GPUs are now supported from Mesa's Gallium i915 driver and there seem to be something missing or a bug.

The driver classic/i965 used in LE10 was dropped in Mesa 22.

Just for information: my Gen4 GMA 4500MHD using Mesa Crocus is working.

zehner J4105 is Gemini Lake. The issue should be something else.

• Sorry your post is a little confusing. Is there a download. I cant see what to do with this info? "Gen4 GMA 4500MHD using Mesa Crocus " Is there a download I should be looking for. I can tell you that the computer has no fancy video card.

but then zehner has posted that the issue is not this I think?

So Im confused what to do.

I poked around using a bootable usb drive. And turned of f Quiet and got the following output. here is a picture of the last thing that shows up on the screen before it reboots. Maybe its of no help.

This is libreelec generic AMD/Intel etc.v11 install. that I have done a new install on. I was using the other generic -legacy before. Both don't work. Im an expert at installing anyway.

Please advise

• Oh right thank you.... rats.

Honestly I dont quite understand the issue other than its some video issue. If I were able to disable the video card on Mother board ?? Bios/jumpers ??, dont know if I can and install Video Card would that possibly resolve the issue?

Or

When I install the version 11 it appears you can run it from a USB Key, Do you think I can you run it from a usb with this issue on the same computer. Does this get around the issue? Then can I point any storage of files etc to the HD of the computer?

Just a thought.

Thanks

• Over time the software packages we use evolve; normally adding support for new hardware and features, and occasionally doing spring cleaning to drop support for old hardware. The version of mesa we use in LE11 (mesa is responsible for 2D graphics like the Kodi GUI) has done spring cleaning since the version used in LE10 and the GMA950 card appears to be one of the casualties.

Options are:

a) Custom image that uses an older (pre spring-clean) mesa version

b) Disable onboard video (if possible?) and use a newer supported card

c) Stick with LE10

A is not guaranteed to be possible, but also not hard to try if you have some self-building skills. If tempted with B, pick a newer Intel or AMD card, not nVidia (else you are forced to use the Generic legacy version of LE). C is the easy option.

• Thanks you your advice is helpful to assess situation.

A. Well I have build and compiled a few linux versions, but its noramally not for the faint at heart, so I will probably avoid this, unless my life depended on it which it does not.

B. Questions on this, If I cant disable Video but add another Video Card will it work do you think? This might be a good try, if I can find an inexpensive card to use. Some of those fancy cards can be pretty expensive. I sort of think if it cost more than a firestick $40-50) then it's not worth it, despite the fact that I like using a computer, as they are more powerful and it has large storage and versatile.

The other option I thought about, but may be too much work is, putting windows on it nd then seeing if it will run as a virtual machine. No Idea if that would work or if I want to go to the trouble for something as trivial as this.

C. Yes this may be the final solution.

Why do I keep trying? Well I am, as one person said about me a tinkerer, I'm tinkering.

Thank you and Regards

one of the casualties.

Ps that is a great way of putting it.