LibreELEC install bricking SD cards?

• I'm on arch linux and I used the AUR version of the generic RPI imager to put libreELEC on a card, as an official linux version was unavailable. All of that works fine, although I noticed when I put the card in my machine that I wasnt able to just drag files onto it. I hate networking but I can live with it - had to do it for old XBMC, after all. However, I put my wii's SD card into the machine and it was set to the same kind of fully impenetrable read-only mode. Sudo couldnt touch it, Root user itself couldnt touch it, windows (running on a mac through some middle layer to be fair) couldnt detect it, RPI imager couldnt re-image it with a bootsector img, gparted wouldnt touch it, i tried Everything. Wii can still use it though.

My current theory is that my OS erroneously projected whatever flags were set on the ELEC card onto the wii card, in a way that might be on the card or just on my arch install. Either way, it is untenable.

EDIT: I just popped in a separate microSD card on the same adapter i was using for the ELEC install and arch is no longer setting it to read only. Guess thats good.

Edited once, last by sword2 (March 8, 2023 at 7:58 AM).

• Unusual for burning .img to SD cards or unusual among RPI distros? There are certainly many potential failure points, but the commonalities seem to infer there is *something* about the structure of RPI Kodi distros that can wreak this sort of havoc when imaging an SD card from a linux machine. I trust your word that it isn't unique to LibreELEC, although I'm no closer to actually knowing what is happening.

• Unusual for burning .img to SD cards or unusual among RPI distros? There are certainly many potential failure points, but the commonalities seem to infer there is *something* about the structure of RPI Kodi distros that can wreak this sort of havoc when imaging an SD card from a linux machine. I trust your word that it isn't unique to LibreELEC, although I'm no closer to actually knowing what is happening.

If you need further convincing, something I mentioned before if you really want to get “deep down” into your SD cards. Might shed some further insight on your problem. Personally I’ve used LE images and formatted cards for other uses no problem. You might be looking in the wrong place. Card reader and card quality might be the place to check next https://medium.com/@drawn_stories…al-f0109bef63ea

• Downloaded different firmware for my SD card reader and its stopped doing any of this stuff anymore. Was able to delete partitions on LE install w/o difficulty. For posterity's sake the driver i needed was rts5139-dkms from the aur.