external HDD not detected/mounting v10.95.1 on PI3

• Hey all, since the described issue has also plagued me since the release of LE 11 I would like to share my observations too.

By my experience the HDDs are working fine as long as you don't perform any kind of write/delete action using the built in file manager. Once I do that (mostly to delete obsolete media files) and disconnect the drive I have to perform an error check on my Windows PC before it is recognized by LE again.

Here's a log documenting it:

https://paste.libreelec.tv/hot-bug.log

Code
    Apr 09 16:32:19.497713 LibreELEC kernel: ntfs3: sdb2: It is recommened to use chkdsk.
    Apr 09 16:32:19.590493 LibreELEC udevil[1605]: mount: /var/media/extern HD 11: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
    Apr 09 16:32:19.590493 LibreELEC udevil[1605]:        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
    Apr 09 16:32:19.590924 LibreELEC kernel: ntfs3: sdb2: volume is dirty and "force" flag is not set!
    Apr 09 16:32:19.613525 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Finished [email protected].

Is there really no way that LE could handle things like before? Unfortunately formatting the HDDs with a different file system is no option to me ... Thanks for any kind of support!

EDIT before even posting: Here's another try safely removing the device I deleted a file from before switching it off and on again (the faulty sdb2 drive still being active):

https://paste.libreelec.tv/quick-husky.log

This time the drive I deleted a file from (sde2) is recognized upon next startup. And just to prove my point I switched off the drives whithout safely removing them first and voila sde2 doesn't get recognized any more (the follwoing log contains the data from quick husky too):

https://paste.libreelec.tv/desired-chipmunk.log

So maybe this is the resolution to our problems? There might have been a change between LE 11 and 12 though as I faintly remember trying the safe removal before without success.

• Think i encounter the same problem now. The external 4TB SSD works perfectly fine on coreelec, even it reports in dmesg that it is flagged "dirty". I guess thats just what happens when the system goes a lot in standby. For me thats unfortunately a killer. Any solution to that? Any way to "repair" the drive on libreelec? If not, guess i'll go with raspbian and install kodi and see if that works.

edit: googling around a bit, i noticed it seems like that mounting RW is blocked by default when the drive is dirty, but RO always works. Thats ok for me (at least for now). mount /dev/sda1 /media -o ro

Is there any way to tell libreelec to mount this device in RO? Or tell libreelec to use -o force? its a movie ssd, i dont care about broken/loss of data, it just has to work.

• thats what i was afraid about ;)

any idea how i can configure libreelec to mount that device in RO or with -o force? i assume thats what coreelec does

• CE uses NTFS-3G to support NTFS devices, because the older (Amlogic BSP) kernels they use do not have in-kernel drivers. LE devices are not being mounted the same way, and thus experience different issues.

• New
    • Best Answer

Is there any way to tell libreelec to mount this device in RO?

Bash
    cp /etc/udevil/udevil.conf /storage/.config/udevil.conf
    nano /storage/.config/udevil.conf

... and edit the ntfs options.

• awesome, thanks!

edit: somehow its not working, guess i do something wrong. i changed nano /storage/.config/udevil.conf from default_options_ntfs = nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, fmask=0133, uid=$UID, gid=$GID to default_options_ntfs = force, nosuid, noexec, nodev, noatime, fmask=0133, uid=$UID, gid=$GID and tried a mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /media, but i get the same error.

when i mount it manually with force i get: /dev/sda1 on /var/media type ntfs3 (rw,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,force,iocharset=utf8)

Edited 2 times, last by olze (June 5, 2024 at 8:25 PM).

• thanks, very useful information.

udevil: denied 90: option 'force' is not an allowed option
    i assume i mis-configured it ;)

changed force to "ro" and now it works at least for reading, but would be awesome if read-write would also somehow work but not sure if this is an option or some other special flag that must be passed to mount