Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-935C - any experience with this reciever under LE / on RPi4?

• Bought this USB receiver some months ago, but never got it really working.

There are drivers present for the chipset in LE. Device will get recognized and can be addressed by TVheadend. (2040:b151)

Now the issue I have is, that TVH never finishes any scan. Statistics will show me high "continuity error" rate. When I plug Coax into TV, there is no issue with the signal.

In the past i had an PCTV DVB-S2 Stick (460e/461e) for receiving via SAT - this stick was working fine, but i moved and i had to switch to DVB-C

Any suggestion, where to start the search, why this stick isnt working properly on RPi4 / LE?

• Statistics will show me high "continuity error" rate.

this basically means weak signal

things that could be a problem

- reception is too good and the tuner can't handle that -> attenuator for dvb

- reception is too weak and the tuner can't handle that -> dvb antenna booster
    - USB cable has problems, USB switch has some problems -> try other cable or usb ports

- driver is not properly working -> good luck :)

• this basically means weak signal

- USB cable has problems, USB switch has some problems -> try other cable or usb ports

I couldn't exclude the posibility of the defective DVB device, even if new and Hauppauge.

If you can, try with another laptop/PC and/or another OS (Linux, Windows) to check if the hardware itself is working well.

If you know what is working well, you are a step closer to find the problem.

• The general advice here to owners of USB DVB devices is to set it up on a separate system with whatever Linux distro works best for it and have it feeding your LE system. You won’t have to worry about breaking drivers with every kernel update. You can lock your system kernel on the board that has your 935c attached and not have to worry about it.

Edited once, last by petediscrete (February 19, 2023 at 9:14 PM).

• this basically means weak signal

Dang, thats a hell of problems to exclude first. Well:

So if i plug the cord from DVB Stick to TV, reception is well on TV - 100% signal strength. So we can exclude weak signal IMO.

Maybe we have too high reception - but I'm somewhat refusing to believe this (right now), because the coax wiring in this house is 50 years+ old. But on the other hand, I have no way of measuring the actual reception strength. So lets skip that for now.

USB Cable can be excluded, tried with and without, on different ports.

Now for the endboss: Driver issues; All other things I've got here for testing this device with, is my TrueNAS with FreeBSD; Because this is the only other device, which could become a alternative for using the Stick on, instead of the RPi. So from what I've got so far is, I need to setup a Jail, install TVheadend and hand trough the USB device and give it a go. I'm currently stuck at "hand trough the USB device"

Edited 2 times, last by Killom (February 22, 2023 at 9:55 AM).