Generic Nightly not working with my Intel N6005/UHD Jasper Lake board ?

• Hi all.

Before I waste everyone's time asking you to comb through debug logfiles & shell outputs, am I correct in thinking that the title hardware *should* work just fine with the standard Generic GBM nightly build ?

For some reason it always stops at the "critical <general>: CApplication::CreateGUI - unable to init windowing system" entry and I have to use the Generic-Legacy nightly builds with X11 instead, which is a pain since I want to try out HDR.

I've trawled through a great many of the existing posts and nearly all the potential pitfalls & issues have either already been fixed/integrated into later Nightly builds or don't apply to my specific hardware.

Am I just being dim, and not finding something already known and/or obvious that prevents GBM working with my shiny new Odroid H3+ ?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I've been using using nightlies since I got this new hardware in October as, at the time, the kernel in the mainline releases didn't support Intel Jasper Lake fully.

I've been updating the nightly version to latest every week or two since then - never been able to get the GBM versions to init.

As someone else has confirmed it *should* work, I'll go ahead and collect debug logs etc when I get home.

• Hardware: Odroid H3+ (Intel N6005 Pentium Silver, 11th gen UHD iGPU - Jasper Lake)

Debug logs from non-working GBM LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-11.0-nightly-20230117-5f4b4a4 :-

http://ix.io/4ltz

Debug logs from working X11 LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0-nightly-20230117-5f4b4a4 for comparison, if it helps:-

http://ix.io/4ltA

• Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    mv /storage/.kodi /storage/.kodi-old
    reboot

It looks like have reused an existing drive that's had Kodi installed (as without a GUI you wouldn't be able to install a pile of add-ons) so this ^ moves all Kodi configuration, add-ons and such out of the way to give a clean/vanilla Kodi instance. You can always stop/delete/move things back as they were. Does it work now?

• Aaaaah - looks like I had a brain-lock. I was making the assumption the windowing init was happening at a point before any addons were loaded, so they wouldn't be relevant at that stage of startup.

Turns out that's completely wrong as the clean/vanilla instance chewitt suggests does indeed work properly.

Looks like it's time for me to go on a cruft-hunt to find out what part of the years worth of accumulated tinkering has misbehaved :)

• Well ... that was quick, once I had my wrong-headed assumption challenged and re-calibrated my brain.

This was the culprit, in advancedsettings.xml

Code
    <gui>
       <algorithmdirtyregions>2</algorithmdirtyregions>
    </gui>

That was a bit of left-over lint from at least 2 hardware upgrades back.

Thank you. :thumbup: