10.0.3 on Raspi 4 GB, installation stuck at splash logo - stops at Reached target system time synchronized - pastekodi fails

• Original RPi HDMI Adapter and Power Supply

^ is this a PSU for the original RPi, i.e. 1st/2nd/3rd gen, or an original RPi4 PSU? .. there's an error in the kernel log which looks like a firmware crash, and one possible cause for that kind of thing is an inadequate power supply. No guarantees that's the issue with video output, but low-spec PSUs surface all kinds of odd problems and RPi4 needs a PSU that delivers more amps than earlier models.

• Can you post output of "vcgencmd log msg" (e.g. piped through paste if that working).

Can you confirm you have no custom settings (like overclock) in config.txt?

If you have access to another pi4, then trying it with your sdcard, power supply etc may be useful.

I'd also be interested if RPiOS works correctly? It could be a hardware issue, but I'd expect that to affect other distributions.

• Would the output from dmesg show any instance of an under voltage condition.

Ideally it should. But the log shows:

Code
    Feb 02 15:29:50 LibreELEC kernel: Firmware transaction timeout

which means firmware isn't responding to requests (it has likely crashed).

And as the firmware checks for under-voltage, it may be impossible to get that information into kernel log.

• PSU is ksa-15e-051300he

3A 15.3 W

OSMC and RaspiOS boot well and are usable

I got another sdcard and will flash that one

I ll try to get the other logs and do the checks

I have 8gb raspi 4, will check it

Problem with only hdmi is that is stops at kernel time sync, see OP no chance to interact with

Thx so far for all the help

• Best trying from fresh instead of going to any additional expense if you don’t have to. I will suggest trying a different HDMI cable during the process if you have one. As you know all HDMI cables are not created equally. Don’t forget to use the HDMI connector nearest the power outlet on the RPI4 too. I suffered similar symptoms and in my case a replacement HDMI cable did the trick.

• Could you borrow one or use one from another appliance you already have connected up.

I have to check in office tomorrow, I could be lucky

Error message visible? No my.log file created? Empty my.log file created?

creates only a file pastekodi.log with a single line:

System log output for: LibreELEC (official): 10.0.3

Can you post output of "vcgencmd log msg" (e.g. piped through paste if that working).

vcgencmd log msg >vcgencmd.log creates an empty file named vcgencmd.log

Can you confirm you have no custom settings (like overclock) in config.txt?

nothing done, all default

Ideally it should. But the log shows:
    Code Feb 02 15:29:50 LibreELEC kernel: Firmware transaction timeout

which means firmware isn't responding to requests (it has likely crashed).

that exists log is here: Ubuntu Pastebin

Edited once, last by PackElend: Ein Beitrag von PackElend mit diesem Beitrag zusammengefügt. (December 14, 2022 at 9:18 PM).

• that exists log is here: Ubuntu Pastebin

More words would be useful. Can you confirm that you installed Ubuntu on your pi that has problems with libreelec,

and it produces that error in dmesg?

To rule out any impact from connected devices, can you boot the pi with as little as possible connected (no usb devices, no hat, no hdmi).

Just Pi, power and ethernet (so you can ssh in and get dmesg log). Does the dmesg have that error in? If so I'd say it's a hardware problem with that pi.

Doing a swap test (with a different pi4) could also confirm this.

• More words would be useful.

it did the thing just before I went to bed, sorry, I just want to keep the stone rolling. I don't know in which time zone you are located, I'm in CET.

"failed" is mentioned eight times in Ubuntu Pastebin (I used in Ubuntu's service as I could not register at PasteBin) in addition to timeouts

Can you confirm that you installed Ubuntu on your pi that has problems with libreelec,

and it produces that error in dmesg?

I took the Pi out of the box and used LibreELEC USB-SD Creator, as that failed, I opened this thread, nothing else, no modification etc.

I took the SD Card with "Raspberry Pi OS using Raspberry Pi Imager" from my running Pi 4 8 GB. That booted and was usable.

Afterwards, I tried OSMC (OSMC Installer), which runs well.

I can try to boot it up with Ubuntu if you like.

Doing a swap test (with a different pi4) could also confirm this

I should be able to do this tomorrow (maybe tonight, childcare is on me tonight)

• I can try to boot it up with Ubuntu if you like.

Ah - the link was labelled "Ubuntu pastebin" which I assumed you had named as a failed dmesg from an Ubuntu log.

But I see now that was just a default label as the paste site was hosted by Ubuntu. Don't worry about the Ubuntu boot.

A swap test will be more useful.

• I could borrow a Pi 4B 4GB, it is around the same age. I included that in my tests

Test #1

Same SD-Card, used in different PIs. During each test run, each Pi were only connected to the network by wire and my HP Screen:

1. LibreElec runs on my Pi 4B 8 GB
    2. LibreElec runs on the borrowed Pi 4B 4 GB
    3. LibreElec fails to boot fully on my own Pi 4B 4GB

As it worked with the 1 and 2, I installed Librespot addon - Add-on Support - LibreELEC Forum

Test #2:

Booting the borrowed Pi 4B 4 GB but being connected to my Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (TX-P55VT30J:(

1. It stops at the same line as my own Pi 4B 4 GB but Kodi is reachable via Kodie Remote App and Librespot addon - Add-on Support - LibreELEC Forum
    2. Booted again, screen stayed black
    3. Adjusted the resolution via the web interface but that was very laggy and became unresponsive
    4. another restart, auto-resolution seemed to work

TV is showing Kodi :) even after booting it again and again, so it is stable

That hardware defect is bizarre as Pi OS and OSMC don't mind that defect.
    Anyway, the warranty claim is filled.

Edited 3 times, last by PackElend (December 16, 2022 at 1:04 PM).