MyGica X692 Quad Capture Card Error

• I installed a brand new MyGica X692 quad card into my libeerelec machine, and get this from dmesg:

[ 3.179456] dvb_usb_af9035 3-1:1.0: prechip_version=83 chip_version=01 chip_type=9306

[ 3.179836] usb 3-1: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'ITE 9303 Generic' in cold state

[ 3.186135] usb 3-1: dvb_usb_v2: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-it9303-01.fw'

[ 3.252228] dvb_usb_af9035 3-1:1.0: firmware version=1.4.0.0

[ 3.252238] usb 3-1: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'ITE 9303 Generic' in warm state

[ 3.252347] usb 3-1: dvb_usb_v2: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer

[ 3.252444] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (ITE 9303 Generic)

[ 3.252624] dvbdev: dvb_create_media_entity: media entity 'dvb-demux' registered.

[ 3.473720] si2168 9-0067: probe failed = -5

[ 3.473727] si2168: probe of 9-0067 failed with error -5

[ 3.474412] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9035

There's three pieces of hardware here. The AF9035 USB Bridge chip, the ITE 9303 chip and the Silicon Labs SI2168 chip.

According to all the documentation I have read, all three chips are well supported by linux. Card works fine in Windows.

The af9035 and ite9303 firmware seem to load fine, but the Silicon Labs si2168 never loads, even when trying different firmware files (at least 4). I've tried each one individually, removing the rest in case of a conflict. I've Googled till blue in the face but cannot find even a remote explanation of what error -5 is. No one seems to know. I've tried every version firmware I could find, Including the ones from Libreelec. I've tried every flavor of Linux, from Arch to Centos to Debian to Fedora to Ubuntu, and even Kali ffs, always the same error. All other flavors also have this line in them, but libreelec's dmesg didn't.

[3.473728] dvb_usb_af9035 3-1:1.0: failed to bind i2c device to si2168 driver

After banging my head against this for a week straight, I thought I'd try posting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

• Linux error codes are standardised and -5 means EIO (Error I/O). I'm not sure knowing that will advance your situation though. If the issue is consistent over multiple distros it could be indicating a hardware issue; or everyone has the same incompatible firmware. Have you tried to contact MyGiga support?

• Thank you both for your replies. I did contact MyGica support, and received nothing back. Since I've had good luck on this forum finding an answer for other cards, I figured I'd give it one last go. Oh Well.

As far as their support site, I could find no drivers directly related to this card, it seemed to indicate none was needed. I've read that at least one of these chips has been supported in linux since kernel 3.6 (the si2168) and the rest since at least 4, and now I'm pretty much convinced it's just crappy support from MyGica.

I'm returning this card to newegg for a well supported TBS card that users here seem to like a lot.

If anyone is reading this who is considering buying a MyGica card for linux, please DON'T! It worked fine in windows, but it's just a no go in Linux.

Thanks again for the advice

• On that download link I included they do mention X692 Linux driver. Did you try downloading it. Probably not worth the effort now. Best returning it for a refund as you mention. I imagine Linux support for the MyGica range is suspect at best.

The TBS range ain’t cheap. Did you look at Sundtek. One of their development staff is quite active on this forum and reports on Linux support looks quite positive. Just a suggestion.

• Did you look at Sundtek. One of their development staff is quite active on this forum and reports on Linux support looks quite positive. Just a suggestion.

The X692 is ATSC and even MyGiga don't mention Linux support. I contacted Sundtek about their discontinued ATSC tuner but they didn't respond, I'd still like to get one.

• On that download link I included they do mention X692 Linux driver. Did you try downloading it. Probably not worth the effort now. Best returning it for a refund as you mention. I imagine Linux support for the MyGica range is suspect at best.

The TBS range ain’t cheap. Did you look at Sundtek. One of their development staff is quite active on this forum and reports on Linux support looks quite positive. Just a suggest

If you look a bit closer you'll see that the Linux download link for the X692 is greyed out as is their raspberry pi link. The symbol on it is an X instead of a download arrow.

As for the card price, It is double what I paid for the X692, but if it eliminates all these headaches, it'll be worth it.

The X692 is ATSC and even MyGiga don't mention Linux support. I contacted Sundtek about their discontinued ATSC tuner but they didn't respond, I'd still like to get one.

Right on the box was "linux supported" and a pic of the linux penguin. I'd show you a pic but I already shipped it out.

So, thanks for the help anyway. I greatly appreciate you all.

• As previously mentioned here driver support was probably available for a particular kernel at the time but with regular kernel updates in LE chances are it broke at some stage. Best you shipped it back while you could.

Linux support can be a very arbitrary statement when it comes to hardware peripherals. Research is your only true friend in these cases.