TVH-Any DVBS USB tuner suggestions

• Just installed TVH 4.3 Alpha from the repository on a RockPro64 (RK3399) on LE10.0.2 official (it was so simple, thanks guys). Configured IPTV to test and everything is working fine.

I want to add a USB DVBS tuner to the RockPro64 now. I’ve read quite a bit about the adventures of others trying to get their USB tuners to work. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions what tuner would be the simplest to configure on this board using LE10.0.2. I currently have a MyGica HDStar DVBS2 boxed I bought a while back so I’m going to try that first. In the event it doesn’t work would anyone have any suggestions on an alternative.

Thanks !

• Forget a USB tuner, you're going to have a lot of problems! Buy a separate tuner: enigma2, SAT>IP, vboxcomm, ... and connect it to your LibreELEC tvheadend via SAT>IP protocol or m3u playlists

• I already have a TVH setup via a PCIe tuner in a PC. This was something I wanted to get working purely out of curiosity. I’ve had USB DVBS tuners in the past and most of them failed owing to heat problems.

• If a USB tuner has heat issues there can only be one issue - poorly designed LNB Power supply.

The same can apply to PCIe cards. All other parameters are the same.

Our tuners (sundtek) do not have such an issue, dual and single DVB-S/S2 USB.

• If a USB tuner has heat issues there can only be one issue - poorly designed LNB Power supply.

The same can apply to PCIe cards. All other parameters are the same.

Our tuners (sundtek) do not have such an issue, dual and single DVB-S/S2 USB.

What bothers me is the manufacturer who supplies a tuner that is powered from the USB port. In my experience that’s where most of the problems lie with USB tuners. You need an external power supply.

• Our single tuners can take the power from 5V which requires a higher current of course and warms up the components more than with 12V.

However if the 12V power supply is plugged in less current is required and the tuner will be cooler (and we deliver our tuners with a 12V powersupply by default).

- higher voltage - less current -> lower temperature

- lower voltage - more current -> higher temperature

Certainly this depends how much power your LNB draws, a single LNB might be no problem with a 5V power supply via USB, while a quad LNB definitely needs a power supply.

There are some niche projects which are perfectly fine even without LNB powersupply since the lnbs or data source is powered elsewhere.

If you plug in the tuners to a signal generator of course no power supply for the LNB components is needed at all.

For cost saving only allowing a 5V power supply doesn't make any sense (but yes there are some ..)

PC systems also provide 5v and 12v ports, actually the 12V port could be used with an adapter with our tuners too of course.