Resolution on Wetek Play 2

• Hi all,

today I tested an installation of the current L11 nightly on my Wetek Play 2 box.

1) I have a problem with the resolution. The biggest available resolution is 1024x768. The TV is an older Toshiba HD Flatscreen, supporting 1920x1080 for sure.

Any idea how I can fix this?

2) The box cannot be switched off, because it restarts automatically. I think someone has already mentioned this.

3) I have problems with the librespot addon. I do not see it on my phone to connect to. It seems that libresport is continually started and stopped again. There are a lot of these entries in kodi.log.

2022-10-23 10:23:51.606 T:981 info <general>: Librespot: librespot started

2022-10-23 10:23:51.710 T:981 info <general>: Librespot: suspended sink 1

2022-10-23 10:23:51.712 T:981 info <general>: Librespot: librespot stopped

Maybe the addon does not work yet on LE 11 nightlies?

Best regards

Kai

Edited 2 times, last by kaibenn (October 23, 2022 at 9:38 AM).

• 1. Update done, nothing changed regarding the detected resolutions

I do not know much about how Kodi/libreELEC detect the resolution. Read something about CEC, what is called Regza on Toshiba TV. Regza-Link is on in TV Settings. Not much more adjustments there. TV is from 2009.

Is there a way to set a specific resolution, if not detected?

2. I think you proposed installation to emmc instead...If all other problems are solved this may be a solution

3. OK, I will do, but first things first (resolution)

• Run "modetest | paste" and "cat /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste" and share the URLs, but the logs will probably just confirm that we don't see normal 1080p modes. You can also try forcing 1080p60 output by appending "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60" to kernel boot params in extlinux.conf (on the SD card). This forces the DRM driver to a specific resolution. Resolution is about the modes detected from the EDID data on the HDMI connection, it has nothing to do with CEC. Older TVs are more prone to bad EDID data and that's an era when "HD Ready" TVs with 1080i. Kodi only outputs progressive frames so 1080i will not be selected for output, but those TVs normally have 720p modes that we'd find and use instead. It's always worth experimenting with another HDMI cable and using different HDMI sockets on the TV to see if you get different results.

• Sorry, but I do find the extlinux.conf file on the SD card. Mounting SD card under Linux, I have two partitions LIBRELEC and STORAGE (or similar). I think it is the LIBRELEC parttion you are refering to, because this is a fat partition also Windows shows me. But I do not see an extlinux.conf there. Where should I look?

• If you're using the box image from an SD card the boot params are in uEnv.ini. If you installed LE to the eMMC storage then boot files are a bit different and there's an extlinux.conf file. However, configuring (forcing) an HDMI mode will do nothing when you're connected to the TV with a composite cable. You can try the following but I doubt it will work: video=Composite-1:1920x1080M@60

Use an HDMI cable and you'll get proper modes.

• I am using a HDMI cable and are still booting from SD card. So I will look into uEnv.ini on the SC card.

Alternatively I still have CoreElec 9.2.8 on another SD card. There the resolution is correctly detected (same HDMI cable). But I do not know if Kodi 18, CoreElec 9.2.8 does the resolution detection in the same way.

• Code
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/d0100000.vpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid > /flash/edid.bin

SSH in and run ^ those commands, then shutdown, remove the SD card, and on a PC copy the edid.bin file and attach here so we can poke it.

There is almost zero linux codebase in common with CE so the comparison there nice to know but not technically helpful.

• Today I tried it again. Same results.

I have neither success with the kernel boot parameter in uEnv.ini "video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60". Using this boot parameter the display is just black.

• Please run "dmesg | paste" and share the URL, to see if there are any error messages in the log?

The one remaining experiment I can think of is writing the WP2 (not box) image to emmc. This replaces vendor u-boot with upstream u-boot and changes the early boot process. That said, I'm not sure it would resolve anything as I've not had other reports of what you're seeing and there's a growing number of users (most of whom are probably booting from SD card). I have a raw (dd) copy of the original factory image that can be restored to emmc if you wanted to put Android and vendor boot code back.

https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/testing/LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.85.0-wetek-play2.img.gz

backup-wp2.img.gz
    Shared with Dropbox
    www.dropbox.com

To install to emmc download the WP2 image to /storage/ and then run "emmctool w LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.85.0-wetek-play2.img.gz" and it will install everything. To restore the backup, boot the WP2 image from SD card (so emmc is not in-use) and then download the backup and write it with "emmctool w backup-wp2.img.gz" .. until it eventually finishes.

• I have a second Wetek Play 2 box, so I wanted to try the installation to emmc on these second box (to keep CoreElec 9.2.8, until the LibreElec is fully working). But, strangely the resolution is initially 1920x1080 on this box, if booting from SD.

But now it seems that TVHeadEnd (with Haupauge USB tuner WinTV-Nova-S2) does not work good. Connection problems, restarting,.... But I think that will go in another tread, after testing here a bit more.