Posts by kaibenn

OK, thank you for trying to support older hardware. I will consider a new platform.

CoreElec may provide better performance and hardware support due to using the vendor kernel. But I was a bit dissapointed for them dropping support for the older AML hardware quite fast, just one release supported the Wetek Play 2 box.

And, as far as i know, there is currently no hardware and distribution supporting internal tuners, which was a big advantage of Core Elec 9.2.

I am not decided, yet, but currently I tend to go with a Rasberry PI 4 and LibreElec.

In the meanwhile I did some more testing:

1) There are quite often artifacts using live TV (TVHeadend) in Kodi

a) There are more artifacts on the 1920i1080 than on the 720p50 channels

b) 576i25 channels are not working (no video)

c) I also regarded reconnecting to TVHeadend server, but seldom (actually only after one boot).

2) For checking TVHeadend alone, I have done:

a) Streaming from the Web GUI

b) Making an recording and watching it later

For both cases there are artifacts, but less than than using live TV in Kodi. For the recording, artifacts were shown around every 10 minutes.

3) To check for the Haupauge USB tuner (WinTV-Nova-S2)

I tried it on my notebook, running Kubuntu 22.04, using Kaffeine as TV application. I needed to install the packagelinux-firmware-hauppauge from hauppauge ppa.

Until now I have seen no artifacts at all. So, in general the USB tuner should work on Linux.

4) I tried to boot LibreElec on my notebook from USB stick, but it failed booting. I think this was because I am using secure boot. It is a multi boot installation (Windows 11, Kubuntu 22.04) using secure boot. Because the notebook is in daily use, I am hesitant to change secure boot.

I plan to check it again during the LibreElec 11 beta cycle (My CoreElec 9.2.8 installation is still working, so there is no urgency).

Best regards

Kai

noggin I have done (a bit) streaming checking already:

Additionally I tried streaming from TVHeadend server to my notebook. This works for 1), 2) and 3). I have seen artefacts, but less than in Kodi.

Streaming for the SD channels worked, so this seems to be a Kodi problem.

I have seen less artifacts on the other channels (streaming), but I think I have seen at least one time an artifact. But I have not watched for long, maybe I should repeat it for a bit longer to be more sure.

I have now tested with TVH 4.3.

It works indeed better. The long boot delay vanished. Start-up time is fine now.

The video is not buffering (time icon) anymore, but I still see 'artefacts'.

I tested:

1) The public TV channels in Germany (e.g. Das Erste) 1280x720, 50Hz

2) Some free HD channels (e.g. BBC World News) 1920x1080, 25 Hz

3) Some commercial SD channels (e.g. RTL Television) 720x576, 25 Hz

For 1) I have seen 'artefacts', but seldom

For 2) I see 'artefacts' more often.

3) does not work at all (only audio)

Additionally I tried streaming from TVHeadend server to my notebook. This works for 1), 2) and 3). I have seen artefacts, but less than in Kodi.

Hello alltogether,

since recently I am testing the alpha build of LibreElec 11 (from chewitt) on my Wetek Play 2 box. I know, its alpha, I cannot expect all addons to be working, so mainly to report the problem:

The librespot addon does not work, yet. The service seems to start and stop continously. Excerpt of kodi.log (there are a lot of these entries):

Code
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.316 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: librespot started
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.402 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: suspended sink 1
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.403 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: librespot stopped
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.450 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: librespot started
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.536 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: suspended sink 1
    2022-11-06 09:48:11.537 T:853      info <general>: Librespot: librespot stopped

Complete debug log: http://ix.io/4f5E

Hello alltogether,

since recently I am testing the alpha build of LibreElec 11 (from chewitt) on my Wetek Play 2 box. I have a Haupauge USB tuner (WinTV-Nova-S2) connected to the box and TVHeadend 4.2 installed. Live TV works basically, but with a poor perfomance. E.g. on startup of the box it needs around 4 minutes after the Kodi GUI is visible until the TV sections is filled with channels. Watching a channel, it now and than buffers, showing the time icon, or having artefacts in the image and has also hanged completely.

I have a debug kodi.log (mentioning TVHeadend just once) and a TVHeadeend log (but this is 1.6GB big, too big to upload I think)

Any idea what to do to improve the perfomance?

I have a second Wetek Play 2 box, so I wanted to try the installation to emmc on these second box (to keep CoreElec 9.2.8, until the LibreElec is fully working). But, strangely the resolution is initially 1920x1080 on this box, if booting from SD.

But now it seems that TVHeadEnd (with Haupauge USB tuner WinTV-Nova-S2) does not work good. Connection problems, restarting,.... But I think that will go in another tread, after testing here a bit more.

I am using a HDMI cable and are still booting from SD card. So I will look into uEnv.ini on the SC card.

Alternatively I still have CoreElec 9.2.8 on another SD card. There the resolution is correctly detected (same HDMI cable). But I do not know if Kodi 18, CoreElec 9.2.8 does the resolution detection in the same way.

Sorry, but I do find the extlinux.conf file on the SD card. Mounting SD card under Linux, I have two partitions LIBRELEC and STORAGE (or similar). I think it is the LIBRELEC parttion you are refering to, because this is a fat partition also Windows shows me. But I do not see an extlinux.conf there. Where should I look?

1. Update done, nothing changed regarding the detected resolutions

I do not know much about how Kodi/libreELEC detect the resolution. Read something about CEC, what is called Regza on Toshiba TV. Regza-Link is on in TV Settings. Not much more adjustments there. TV is from 2009.

Is there a way to set a specific resolution, if not detected?

2. I think you proposed installation to emmc instead...If all other problems are solved this may be a solution

3. OK, I will do, but first things first (resolution)