Best Way To Link Two LibreElec Boxes...

• I have a little box HTPC on the shelf below my TV.. Wife wanted the big ugly PC (18TB Video Server) off the shelf, so I set it up on a shelf on my network rack in my office.

Both machines are running LibreElec KODI (Leia, I believe)..

What would be the easiest way to link the two machines so I can stream from the 18TB Server to the cute little HTPC box on the shelf..

I am not a really big fan of streaming due to buffering issues (I have crappy internet) but I figured LAN streaming won't have any buffering issues.. But I am curious exactly how big a draw will networked linked LE Boxes would be..

Thanx in advance for any assistance..

• There's probably different levels of sophistication you can do, but as a minimum you can share content from the 'server' box over SMB to the client device. Connect both to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch and Cat5 of better cables and playback (not streaming) over the LAN should be a breeze. If you will still watch content on the server box; install an SQL database (use Docker) and migrate the Library data there so you can maintain the watched/unwatched status between boxes. If you like pain, connect the client device over WiFi :)

• There's probably different levels of sophistication you can do, but as a minimum you can share content from the 'server' box over SMB to the client device. Connect both to the same Gigabit Ethernet switch and Cat5 of better cables and playback (not streaming) over the LAN should be a breeze. If you will still watch content on the server box; install an SQL database (use Docker) and migrate the Library data there so you can maintain the watched/unwatched status between boxes.

Thanx... I'll try that when get home...

If you like pain, connect the client device over WiFi :)

Heh I try to avoid that whenever possible. :D Thanx again..

• OK I have some time to play with this..

Can't seem to get the SMB share to play nice together..

Share settings are identical..

But I think I found the problem..

The HTPC box is running LEIA.. The Video Server is running MATRIX...

I am assuming I should upgrade the HTPC box??

Edited once, last by Michale: UPDATE: OK Got both running MATRIX.. I also noticed I have to set min/max version of SMB both in the LibreElec SERVICES and in the KODI SERVICES. Did so.. Still no go... :( Maybe, since I am not dealing with Windows set min/max to SMB3 on both?? (September 8, 2022 at 9:35 PM).

• SUCCESS!!! :D

I went to ADD NETWORK LOCATION and manually input the IP info..

Works like a charm!! :D

Thanx for the assist.. That should have been part of ^^^^ that message, dunno why it got cut off...

Edited once, last by Michale: Merged a post created by Michale into this post. (September 8, 2022 at 10:15 PM).

• The HTPC box is running LEIA.. The Video Server is running MATRIX...

I am assuming I should upgrade the HTPC box??

To play media from server not necessary to have the same version.

If you want to use joint SQL database and migrate the Library data there, you need to have same version (https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases). The advantage is, if you use kodi on different devices, the media library will be synchronized (ex. movie watched status, resume points). As SQL database I'm using the "MariaDB" addon. More info you can find here: https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi