NUC+remote power button problems

• Hello,

As has been discussed here in the past in other threads, Libreelec is prone to some very odd behaviour in regards to power buttons. Some devices will turn off entirely, others sleep and others still do nothing.

My LE installation has decided that my device should trigger the power menu and sleep in the same instant, also that sleep cannot be woken by anything, requiring a hard reset.

How do I make libreelec function correctly in this regard?

I have tried the steps listed here:

DLH007
    August 15, 2017 at 10:55 PM

And here:

movedoa
    February 8, 2019 at 7:19 PM

With no result whatsoever. Not even a change of any kind. I have this same remote on my RPi4 also with LE, and that works correctly with no setup.

How do I make libreelec function correctly in this regard? All that should happen when pressing the power button is the power menu should appear. This even worked correctly in Windows; I could sleep and wake the machine as expected with the remote.

Thanks to anyone with advice on this. I am getting ready to dump LE because of this and would like to avoid doing so. Being able to power on/off the device is critical to basic functionality.

• I'm running LE on an Intel NUC and have no issues with turning my NUC on and off with a Harmony 665 Universal Remote. I use sleep mode on my really old NUC though. It might help if you include your NUC Model number and the versions of LE that you tried. Start with older versions of LE (9.2.8 maybe).

• I'm running LE on an Intel NUC and have no issues with turning my NUC on and off with a Harmony 665 Universal Remote. I use sleep mode on my really old NUC though. It might help if you include your NUC Model number and the versions of LE that you tried. Start with older versions of LE (9.2.8 maybe).

Thanks for the reply. When I get home I'll edit this post with the model number.

Latest LE from the website & generic media remote, not a universal remote. As far as I'm aware it sends a hardware sleep button press to the USB port.

Edit: the NUC is a DC53427HYE.

Edited once, last by Wwwr (August 4, 2022 at 3:54 AM).

• You should also try older versions of LE. The newer versions may have introduced something that is affecting your setup.

I would like to troubleshoot the existing config before reinstalling countless random versions of the OS blindly.

• Nobody has any ideas on this? Perhaps time to drop LE as it won't function correctly and there is no indication whatsoever as to what could rectify this.

• I have the exact same model NUC. I have been using it with LE for years. There have been no issues with remote operation. My Infrared Receiver is an HP 5188-1667 that I purchased for under $10 from ebay.

I suspect your problem is the IR Receiver you use or the remote.

If you want to buy the IR Receiver I mentioned, there's one for sale on Ebay now for $1 plus $5 shipping (used). Search for:

HP Media Center Transmitter OVU400103/00 and scroll down the page to find it.

Edited once, last by blueribb (August 6, 2022 at 9:21 PM).

• Hmmmm is this an internal IR sensor as found on some NUCs or is this an external IR sensor? Is this a MCE remote?

Are you sure you are not using TWO IR receivers one internal and one external?

do you have a custom keymap?

If this is a Windows MCE remote and receiver, Try removing (renaming extension to ".old") your custom keymap and try this with your remote then restart . See what happens when you hit the remote POWER then. Do not worry about your other functions right now just see if this fixes the shutdown menu.

create the file at /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/keymap.xml

with the following contents...

As I also recall there is a tweak to allow WMC remote ONLY thereby disabling other remotes. You may need this too

I believe you want to edit /storage/config/rc_maps.cfg as follows:

Code
    # use combined multi-table on MCE receivers
    *      rc-rc6-mce               rc6_mce
    #*       rc-rc6-mce               libreelec_multi
  • The NUC is a DC53427HYE, which does not have an IR sensor built in. An external USB IR Receiver must be used and not all are compatible with Kodi/LE - at least that's what I read some time ago.

• See here: RE: Remote power off button is different at kodi 17 then at kodi 18 whe using LE

Your NUC, running X11, works differently than RPi and most likely you are using a remote with a receiver which "looks like" a keyboard to the system. You have to configure systemd to ignore it, otherwise both it and kodi will react to the (sleep?) button. On RPi also keyboard-like devices get grabbed exclusively by kodi so systemd doesn't "see" the button press at all.

so long,

Hias

• so long,

Hias

why the smart-assed comment from a Dev? It seems inappropriate, regardless of what poster says

what holds you off ? :cry:

P.S.

a hardcore question - I know - triggered (YMMV) by "If *you* don't fix my problem..." or "LE is such a shitty OS" or the like attitude

Why must people make these kinds of comments? Why are they allowed? I do not see this in Poster's comments you are putting words in his mouth.

This forum is getting more and more like the Kodi form was a few years ago.

The NUC is a DC53427HYE, which does not have an IR sensor built in. An external USB IR Receiver must be used and not all are compatible with Kodi/LE - at least that's what I read some time ago.

Well I have used a variety of USB MCE IR sensors and remotes on LE without issue.

Did you try my suggestion? You did not say you would nor reply with results.

It does Sound like maybe you want someone to fix it for you.

Edited 2 times, last by tekno: Merged a post created by tekno into this post. (August 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM).

• why the smart-assed comment from a Dev? It seems inappropriate, regardless of what poster says

I have no idea what you mean.

But I can tell you that not every remote sold as "MCE" is adhering to the original Media Center Remote standard - the well known Ortek / Hama remote for example and there's numerous others.

"MCE" has become a generic term nowadays and the OP hasn't told us yet which specific remote and IR receiver he's using.

And I can also tell you that you may need to ignore suspend/sleep/power handling in systemd in such cases and that matches the symptoms the OP described. So it's well worth a try checking that.

so long,

Hias

• Why must people make these kinds of comments?

*I* answered this question already exactly in my comment and please don't overread the word "YMMV" !

what's undeclared for you seems to be the word "must"

well, the/my deep meaning is "buried" in what I want to archive or what my real intention was.

so please think (again) about it

1. Hint: it's surely NOT to remove posters from this list or harm them or such !

2. Hint: you might "backup" or "verify" your theory after reading *all* my comments I made in this forum the last years and of course find the red line in all of them.

:idea:

• *I* answered this question already exactly in my comment and please don't overread the word "YMMV" !

YMMV is not a word. It only has any meaning to you and a few others I read and write ENGLISH SPANISH and some others YMMV is not a word. I have no idea what it means.

Pint is poster never said "shittty OS" not "if you dont fix my problem" those are the words you put in OPs mouth. People like you make places like this INTOLERABLE . I really do not care how many (possibly useless) posts you have made nor how lomg you have been here. YOU ARE JUST RUDE!

• how about YOU do that. I prefer ENGLISH, Spanish or Chinuk

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. 8)

(Mark Twain)

over & out !

Edited 2 times, last by GDPR-7: Merged a post created by JoeAverage into this post. (August 12, 2022 at 7:50 PM).