RPi4B 8GB 4K@60 not displayed

• Hello,

I tried editing config.txt which doesn't work anymore and cmdline.txt for forcing the resolution. But my TV doesn't seem to display it.

I also tried using getedid create through ssh.

I'm using a Sony Bravia X90J with one of it's 4K enabled ports. Is there some sort of thing I need to do with my Kodi that's running 10.0.2?

Thank you.

• Just checking that if you have the option to enabled 'Enhanced HDMI' (which enables high bandwidth 4:2:2 at 2160 60Hz inputs) and that you are using one of the HDMI ports that is able to run this. My Sony UHD HDR set only accepts the highest bandwidth 4:2:2 2160p stuff on HDMI 2 and HDMI 3. HDMI 1 and 4 are low bandwidth 2160p 60Hz 4:2:0 only - and the Pi 4B doesn't do 4:2:0 output.

• I ticked the setting on for HDMI 2 and 3 and have it on @ HDMI 3.

Tried the getedid create from SSH and even rebooted when the option wasn't there.

Tried cmdline.txt forcing the resolution. Still nothing.

Does the Pi itself do 4:4:4 @ 4K@60? That's pretty disappointing if it doesn't, because my TV does support it. I'm back to using 1920x1080p60. I just want to know the benefits of the mode and if it does any justice at a higher signal for 1080p content.

Edited once, last by jthox34 (May 27, 2022 at 5:12 PM).

• I ticked the setting on for HDMI 2 and 3 and have it on @ HDMI 3.

Tried the getedid create from SSH and even rebooted when the option wasn't there.

Tried cmdline.txt forcing the resolution. Still nothing.

Does the Pi itself do 4:4:4 @ 4K@60? That's pretty disappointing if it doesn't, because my TV does support it. I'm back to using 1920x1080p60. I just want to know the benefits of the mode and if it does any justice at a higher signal for 1080p content.

The Pi supports RGB (and I think YCbCr 4:4:4) 8-bit at 2160p60 I think - but it can't do >8 bit at RGB/4:4:4 at 2160p60 (It's not supported in HDMI 2.0/2.0a ISTR - and that's not a Pi limitation).

I think 4:2:2 2160p60 at 12-bit is the preferred mode - but I think it should drop back to the lower bit-depth RGB/4:4:4 modes if 4:2:2 isn't supported?

What version of LibreElec are you running?

• RPi defaults to 8-bit RGB 4:4:4 (LE 10.0.2 will also do 8-bit YCC 4:4:4) and will switch to 10 or 12 bit RGB/YCC 4:4:4 (if available) or 12-bit YCC 4:2:2 (as a fallback) only when playing 10bit videos.

so long,

Hias

• RPi defaults to 8-bit RGB 4:4:4 (LE 10.0.2 will also do 8-bit YCC 4:4:4) and will switch to 10 or 12 bit RGB/YCC 4:4:4 (if available) or 12-bit YCC 4:2:2 (as a fallback) only when playing 10bit videos.

so long,

Hias

Yes - though worth also pointing out that 10/12-bit RGB/4:4:4 YCbCr will only be available for 2160p30 and below UHD modes - as it isn't supported in UHD at 50p and above (it's out of spec for HDMI 2.0).

For playback of 2160p50/59.94/60 stuff you'll be in the realms of 8-bit RGB/4:4:4 YCbCr or 12-bit 4:2:2 YCbCr.

I guess this means that when you have Whitelisting or Adjust Refresh Rate on Start or Start/Stop enabled, you end up with the Pi 4B switching between different colour subsampling modes based on the frame rate / refresh rate being output. The vast majority of content will be 2160p23.976 - but for those of us with 2160p50/59.94 stuff this is more likely to be the case, or for those who run the UI in 2160p50/59.94/60?

UHD modes in HDMI 2.0 have some odd limitations due to bandwidth when it comes to chroma subsampling modes.

• Same results for me with the new HDMI 8k cable I tried. It's up to spec.

I tried getedid create and the cmdline.txt and it still won't display the 60 refresh rate option for 2160p.

• In case you didn't do it already: run "getedid delete"and reboot - otherwise any changes to your TV settings or subsequent "getedid create" commands won't have any effect, the edid from your TV on the very first "getedid create" call will still be used.

so long,

Hias

• In case you didn't do it already: run "getedid delete"and reboot

That did the trick and it showed up immediately once I did that and a reboot!!

So question, will this option make a difference for me? Will it be better in terms of just upscaling lower content than 1080p? And 10bit files will play at a lower chroma level of 4.2.2? I just care about it looking the best as it possibly can on my 4K TV. I don't care about playing any 4K content obviously.

Thank you guys.

Edited once, last by jthox34 (May 29, 2022 at 5:32 AM).

• That did the trick and it showed up immediately once I did that and a reboot!!

So question, will this option make a difference for me? Will it be better in terms of just upscaling lower content than 1080p? And 10bit files will play at a lower chroma level of 4.2.2? I just care about it looking the best as it possibly can on my 4K TV. I don't care about playing any 4K content obviously.

Thank you guys.

1. It's usually best to leave your TV to upscale content rather than Kodi - so I'd whitelist 720p and 1080p modes along with 2160p modes - so that Kodi outputs 720p, 1080p and 2160p at their native resolution and lets your TV handle the upconversion if required. (i.e. don't get Kodi to upscale, get your TV to)

2. All consumer content (Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, Broadcast TV, DVD, Netflix, Prime etc.) is 4:2:0, so you shouldn't be losing quality in playback when you output at 4:2:2 instead of RGB/4:4:4, you are just changing the chroma up-sampling destination. What you do gain is the ability to have 10-bit HDR 2160p50/59.94/60 content output in full bit-depth (4:2:2 is 12-bit), whereas if you output this content in RGB/4:4:4 YCbCr you'd be limited to 8-bit at 2160p50/59.94/60 (an HDMI spec limitation) which would mean you would be losing bit depth (and potentially introducing banding or dither)

• I have the latest 10.0.2 kodi running.

When watching a video, where can I check the bitrate/bit depth of the video, to check if somehow I'm losing quality?

• Most 4K/HDR TVs have an 'info' option to display that kind of thing on screen. The TV is also the best place since it can display what is actually being sent vs what Kodi thinks it's sending.

• I have the latest 10.0.2 kodi running.

When watching a video, where can I check the bitrate/bit depth of the video, to check if somehow I'm losing quality?

Do you want to know the codec format details (video and audio codec, resolution, frame rate, bit depth and chroma subsampling) of the file you are playing?

i.e.

1920x1080 h.264 8-bit 4:2:0 Rec 709 SDR

5.1 AC-3/Dolby Digital 48kHz 16 bit

3840x2160 h.265 10-bit 4:2:2 Rec 2020 PQ HDR

DTS HD Master Audio 48kHz 24 bit

Or more how Kodi is playing it - i.e. what player route (is it software or hardware decoded etc.)

Or how Kodi is outputting it - i.e. what the output format being sent over HDMI is?

Most 4K/HDR TVs have an 'info' option to display that kind of thing on screen. The TV is also the best place since it can display what is actually being sent vs what Kodi thinks it's sending.

Yes - this may tell you what the hardware is sending to the TV (my Sony just says 1920x1080, 3840x2160 - though it will add /24p if the content is 1920x1080/24p, to tell if HDR is being sent I have to go to the Picture Menu and see if the HDR flag is raised. Other TV manufacturers do better than this, as do some AVR manufacturers who have an app or web interface that tells you what they are being fed/passing through)

Alternatively pressing 'O' (the capital letter) or 'CTRL'+'SHIFT'+'O' can tell you some things about what is happening during replay.

This is one nice thing about CoreElec - it shows you the source video details on the left in the 'O' screen, and the output format on the right - but I guess that is easier as it's tied very tightly to AMLogic.

(I have an HD Fury Vertex that tells me quite a lot too)

Do you want to know the codec format details (video and audio codec, resolution, frame rate, bit depth and chroma subsampling) of the file you are playing?

No, for that I use an application called media info, to know the audio/video information within the file.

Or how Kodi is outputting it - i.e. what the output format being sent over HDMI is?

Yes, I have the raspbery pi connected to my Denon AVR 2400h, and the AVR connected to my LG OLED TV.
    I would like to know the media information that is reaching the AVR, and from there what is being sent to TV in order to trace if some data is being loss/converted during the way.

Regarding kodi/libreelec, do you know where do I check the information that is being output?

Edited once, last by KarK0v (June 19, 2022 at 8:47 PM).

• I would like to know the media information that is reaching the AVR, and from there what is being sent to TV in order to trace if some data is being loss/converted during the way.

Regarding kodi/libreelec, do you know where do I check the information that is being output?

I'm not aware of a way of getting output format information (output resolution, frame rate, colour subsampling, colour gamut, EOTF etc.) in mainline Kodi (which is what LibreElec runs). I suspect that is because on some OSs that Kodi runs on (Android?) that information may not be readily available from the OS.

I suspect what you want is something that displays the following HDMI output information?

Video : 3840x2160 23.976Hz 4:2:2 YCbCr 12-bit Rec 2020 ST.2084/PQ HDR

Audio : Dolby True HD+Atmos bitstream

or

Video : 3840x2160 50.00Hz 4:2:2 YCbCr 12-bit Rec 2020 ARIB-B67/HLG HDR

Audio : 48kHz 16-bit 2.0 PCM

or

Video : 1920x1080 50.00Hz RGB 8-bit Rec 709 BT.1886/SDR

Audio : 48kHz 16-bit 5.1 PCM

or

Video : 1920x1080 23.976Hz RGB 8-bit Rec 709 BT.1886/SDR

Audio : DTS HD Master Audio bitstream

CoreElec has a fork of Kodi that is optimised for the AMLogic chipsets it runs on and does have some of that information (when you press 'O' you get the source information on the left and the output format information similar to the above on the right). However this is because the Kodi fork that runs on CoreElec can 'know' this from it's tight integration with one specific vendor chipset?

I get the Video information

• FYI - look here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Player_process_info

You can also use kodi-remote app from SSH console to invoke the Player Process Info and Player Debug overlays on screen.

Yep - both of those tell you about the content being played (i.e. give you details of the source file), not the format it is being output in (i.e. the video output resolution, frame rate, gamut, EOTF and chroma format and subsampling, nor the audio output format).

What the OP was looking for is more of an 'Output Info' OSD option - which doesn't currently exist in mainline Kodi AIUI.

The Video Debug info is useful as it gives you comprehensive information about the source file - and some information about how it is being processed - but it doesn't tell you what the output format is.