Trying to re-purpose MXQ boxes.

• Some time ago we used our nice old MXQ box every night & it worked wonderfully well & easily.

IIRC, it had Kodi 14 and ran Kitkat (4.4.2 ??).

Slowly at 1st then ever faster stuff quit working until it got put to one side in hopes to get more use out of it - somehow.

Then we used Netflix on our DVD player until that became a non-option - and finally we got a newer TV box, but it is now failing after only about a year, with its ethernet & USB ports no longer working.

Having to buy such boxes again & again is tiresome - so I'm back to wondering what may be done to revive our MXQ box - and to make matters more interesting when our friend retired his MXQ box he gave it to us, so I've got 2 of 'em just sitting around now.

I've seen it suggested to change such older boxes to LibreELEC - so here I am now, asking for assistance.

Also, choices for what to install seem to depend upon the box's h/w level as to RAM, S805 or 905, etc. - and I don't know any easy way to determine those needed specs.

I was really comfortable with the old Kodi 14 (?) and its default skin (Confluence ??) and saw some mention of a build that was similar which is now dead called Xanax.

I will hugely appreciate any helpful & constructive guidance which may enable me to re-purpose this very reliable old h/w.

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

• Also, choices for what to install seem to depend upon the box's h/w level as to RAM, S805 or 905, etc. - and I don't know any easy way to determine those needed specs.

Open the box and make a sharp photo. Sharp enough to read the print of the chips.

• Thanks for your time & efforts Da Flex.

Looks like I also need to learn how 'allwinner' relates with these older boxes as well, 'cuz I had gotten the impression that they have Amlogic chipsets ??

From what I have found it seems that the eventual uselessness of the older Kodi, etc. was related with specific SSL requirements or the like, and that some folks have gotten these older boxes working with Android V5 or V6 somehow.

Since I am literally at square 1 with this idea I am hoping to hear about what is actually possible that truly works rather than having to buy newer stuff.

Thanks again.

• OK, opened up both boxes & tried making useful pix - but could not get the nomenclature on the chips to come through - BUT=>

Could read the tiny little print which may be helpful...both boards have heatsinked chips in the middle.

Neither says 'pro' or anything more than just MXQ on the box itself.

Box 1:

MXQ-S805-BOX VI

2016-06-24

W-SB5315

Biggest visible chip reads:

SK.hynix H27UCG8T2ETR

Box 2:

S805_MXQ_V2.1_150516

1G 8G On the backside

Biggest visible chip reads:

SK.hynix H27UCG8T2ETR

Also has what looks like an antenna/wire dangling off near the LED with sticky on it - makes me wonder if it was 'sposed to be stuck onto the outer box someplace.

• Huge Thanks for that pointer Chewitt !!

Looks like a great starting point for my efforts.

I recommend testing the HD18Q image on a sd card for the first time using the toothpick method on both boxes.