Intel NUC too slow looking for an other device

• Hy

Currently I own an Intel NUC10i3FNHN1 i3-10110U. It runs libreelec. I was able to play H265, 4k 60Hz with sound (ATMOSe etc.) over HDMI.

However I got dropouts from time to time (every 1 to 5 minutes). The NUC was not able to maintain 60Hz. With 30Hz it works.

So is there a "new" NUC or another device that you can recommend that is fully supports libreelec WITH HDMI Audio output at 4k 60fps in h264/ h265?

Probably one with dedicated graphics since the Intel UHD Graphics can't deliver 60hz on HDMI...

Andy

• Hmm strange yes in the Datasheet it is clearly mentioned... But when you pull up the data sheet of the CPU you can see that over HDMI it only supports 24Hz and not 60hz and the NUC10i3FNHN1 has only one HDMI port: (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us…o-4-10-ghz.html)

I installed both the LE and nightly build. With the LE version I have no sound over HDMI, it can't find any Audio output devices.

With the nightly version (20220420) I get sound however only 2 ch and it does not deliver ATMOS or anything advanced to my speaker system (even tough my media file do contains such audio streams).

I don't know why I cant pass through the sound to the speaker system since I know when I hook up my PC i can easily pass ATMOS etc. through my HDMI but his PC has an dedicated GPU.

Andy

• I would to suggest to contact Intel to clear both different statements.

one must be invalid.

where I tend to what's in the NUC data sheet binds more (in my opinion), but it could be a copy/paste mistake by the data sheet author...

anyway, two way to go:

- try with display port (via sorta DP-HDMI-Adapter)

- exchange the NUC (and before buying: investigate the data sheets to make sure what you'll get)

• Seems like your trouble starts with higher data rates. The HDMI cable can be a bottle neck. So make sure it's conform to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1. That's needed for any 4K playback.

• I suspect it is using an LSPCON chip. This converts the Display port output from the CPU to HDMI 2.0 and allows for 4K/60 over HDMI.

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • I haven’t checked the intel site for nuc10 of late

did that:

HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC10i3FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i7FN
    Use this tool to update the HDMI Firmware version to 1.78.2.0.7 on the the Intel® NUC family, NUC10i3FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i7FN.
    www.intel.com

gekoch

if you want to give the HDMI-FW update [1] a try:

- you need a running windows 10 [2]

- I suggest to install a least the chipset and the GPU driver from the Intel page

- and maybe both (x86, x64) Visual Studio packages from here:

Neueste unterstützte Visual C++ Redistributable Downloads
    In diesem Artikel werden die Downloadlinks für die neuesten Versionen von Visual C++ Redistributable Paketen aufgeführt.
    docs.microsoft.com

[1]

I would suggest the FW update.

even if it won't fix your current problem, you could exclude future problems regarding HDMI, when the FW is current.

in short: Intel wouldn't release a update when it isn't needed !

[2]

- best: installed on a spare disk

win 10 64bit eval:

c't-Notfall-Windows 2022
    Unser Bausatz für das Notfall-Windows erstellt binnen Minuten ein vom USB-Stick bootfähiges, transportables Windows zur Schädlingsbekämpfung und Datenrettung.…
    www.heise.de
  • Seems like your trouble starts with higher data rates. The HDMI cable can be a bottle neck. So make sure it's conform to HDMI 2.0 or 2.1. That's needed for any 4K playback.

I have some 4k/60hz cables and tried some other lying around but still same effect. My cables are also only about 40-50cm long so quite short.

ok thx for the input I've done the Firmware Update of the HDMI chip now.

However sill the same problem...

I will post a full log as soon as possible

There is some info on the wiki that we did the research on lspcon - https://wiki.libreelec.tv/hardware/intel-x86-64-generic - it might need updating, but we spent a bit of time checking the details. I use the nuc11 as my daily. I do have a nuc10 but don’t/have not used Kodi on it. My previous daily was a nuc6. The firmware update is definitely needed, I haven’t checked the intel site for nuc10 of late.

So which version of libreelec do you have running on your nuc11?

• So which version of libreelec do you have running on your nuc11?

I guess it's something starting with kernel 5.15 and above, which is in nightly or a homebrewed test build (as a developer)

cause no support for the NUC10/11 GPU's without kernel 5.15 (AFAIK) and above

• 5.17.4 (which is the current nightly image)

Anything below 5.12 on the nuc11 in “average” / barely functional.

• 5.17.4 (which is the current nightly image)

Anything below 5.12 on the nuc11 in “average” / barely functional.

ok thx and you got Audio working as well and also with passthrough?

I ask because now it seems working at least the video part. No more dropouts at 4k/60 with the Firmware Update of the HDMI chip. First it looked like it would not work but I reseted the bios once more and reinstalled libreelec.

Now my only issue is the sound. I can't get Dolby Atmos working... As I had windows installed for the firmware update of the HDMI chip I tried running kodi where I was able to play Atmos content but with the 20220426 nigthly build Atoms is not passed through my audio receiver.

• ok thx and you got Audio working as well and also with passthrough?

I ask because now it seems working at least the video part. No more dropouts at 4k/60 with the Firmware Update of the HDMI chip. First it looked like it would not work but I reseted the bios once more and reinstalled libreelec.

Now my only issue is the sound. I can't get Dolby Atmos working... As I had windows installed for the firmware update of the HDMI chip I tried running kodi where I was able to play Atmos content but with the 20220426 nigthly build Atoms is not passed through my audio receiver.

I run a denon avc-x6700 and lg 75nano91 and use passthough.

• while mine seems to use passthrough it is most likely not since I can still adjust the volume in libreelec what should not be possible (at least this was my past experience before 4K)

• while mine seems to use passthrough it is most likely not since I can still adjust the volume in libreelec what should not be possible (at least this was my past experience before 4K)

Your AVR should indicate what audio format it is receiving over HDMI ? (Mine shows me both on the front panel display and via an app on my phone)

Volume control of the audio output within Kodi (rather than Kodi CEC control of your AVR's volume control - which I don't think many NUCs support) indicates that you aren't using passthrough/bitstream and are instead outputting PCM.

Stupid question - but you have enabled passthrough for all the audio formats your AVR supports?

• Your AVR should indicate what audio format it is receiving over HDMI ? (Mine shows me both on the front panel display and via an app on my phone)

Volume control of the audio output within Kodi (rather than Kodi CEC control of your AVR's volume control - which I don't think many NUCs support) indicates that you aren't using passthrough/bitstream and are instead outputting PCM.

Stupid question - but you have enabled passthrough for all the audio formats your AVR supports?

yep I've enabled passthrough for all audio formats as I'm used to with my old system before. However when I install Kodi on a windows setup with the same NUC it passes the audio correctly (Display on the AVR shows Doby Atmos).

When I use libreelec on the same machine it only shows 5.1 Dolby Digital and no Atmos (The video I like to play has Atmos sound). And as I mentioned I can still control volume even tough passthrough is activated what is not possible while using the windows / kodi setup.