Cannot access via SAMBA

• RPi4 running the nightly from 10/04/2022, wired LAN to Windows 7 PC

I can access via ssh, or ping it using either host name or ip address but not via samba, Windows reports "Location not available"

I have (I think) got the settings the same as my RPi3 but something is obviously wrong.

Workgroup is set correctly in both places. SAMBA is set to SMB1 - SMB3.

Can anyone point out things I may be missing?

• Thanks

Whew - I thought it was me - I'll stop banging my head against the wall for a while :shy:

Since I've always just used Windows Explorer by connect directly to the share I assume you means something like

\\Kodi\music

If not can you tell me what the syntax is.

Just tried the above syntax - works on my old RPi3 but not the RPi4

Edited once, last by LybsterKodi (April 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM).

• what SMB version settings are set in "LE.settings"? Will need to be a min = SMB2 (or less) - See my output of testparm - that will validate the setting you have.

• CIFS – Windows NT 4.0
    • SMB 1.0 – Windows 2000
    • SMB 2.0 – Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1
    • SMB 2.1 – Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
    • SMB 3.0 – Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8
    • SMB 3.02 – Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1

(I have mine set to SMB 3.0)

[le11] samba: update to 4.16.0 by heitbaum · Pull Request #6241 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv
    Samba 4.13 has reached EOL 21-March-2022. See https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning Update to samba 4.16 (next release of samba) for…
    github.com
  • I just tried LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20220315-8dd01e5.img.gz and samba worked on that with no password. Now about to download the latest and see what happens. I'll report back.

• It probably won’t work. Samba 4.16.0 is the change. Just need to work out what is different in samba 4.16 that is causing you the issue.

You said “no password”?

Or that you have configured libreelec as the username and libreelec as the password?

• You guessed correctly - it didn't work <G>

I sympathise with your problem - I've experienced it from 1980 to a few years ago when I decided at my age I couldn't be bothered chasing the latest and stabilised my development environment, which is why I'm still on W7.

--ou said “no password”?--

None set in LibreElec - the default seems to be blank. The ones in Services were left as libreelec.

I'll check in again when my SSD (which I shall boot from) arrives from China

Thanks for the help so far.

• Da Flex

I see a lot of that advice on ElReg.

I have converted a few people who only do a bit of web surfing and email over to Linux when Windows is giving them grief (for example an update / upgrade bricks the PC). Unfortunately, whilst Wine has improved tremendously since I first looked at it it still can't run every Windows program and whilst there are freebies out there the cost of switching is far to high.

In my case the reason I didn't switch to W10 (forget W8 & 8.1) is that I couldn't install my main development tool (Delphi 2007). To upgrade the toolchain would have cost me c£3,000 plus a lot of time converting from ansi to unicode. Switching to a Linux development suite would have ONLY cost me time. As a rough guess - 6 months.

With Kodi running on an RPi3 and TVHeadend on another RPi3 waiting for the development team to sort out the SAMBA problem on the RPi4 (now that I know its not me doing something wrong) is the easy and acceptable option.

• Da Flex

I'm not familiar with Linux so its possible I'm misinterpreting that wiki but it looks as though its intended to allow LibreElec to treat a share as a local directory so I'm not sure how it would help me to move files from Windows to Kodi or from Kodi to Windows.

• Just saying, you use Windows7 that is now EOL since over 2 years.

That means you use a completely outdated os that has all kind of known issues that never get fixed and additionally are likely not compatible to new stuff.

Not saying that it fixes all you problems but you should really consider an still available FREE upgrade to W10.