Nvidia 3070 on 10.0.1 or 10.0.2

• Hello.

I just replaced my gtx 1080 with a rtx 3070 and was surprised that librelec di not start but hanged on "failed to start xorg" message

Before i ordered the 3070 card i really checked that libreelec 10.0.1 had i driver that this card was supported, i think it had 470.* driver and the card is supported.

Did i miss something? i tried to look on github for 10.0.1 branch to verify the driver used but i cant seem to find it.

Kind Regards

• Hi shewitt

I confirmed that 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 have nvidia driver 460.67 and rtx 3070 should work on it (this is how i understand it because it says that its supported in that driver on nvidia linux page)

I tested and installed my old old gtx 670 and verified that it was 460.67 driver

I did not get the card for NVDEC support just vdpau use, i just needed to use my gtx 1080 in my old htpc

I will try the LE11 nightly and hope vdpau is still there

Edit: tested LE11 only has VAPI so it wont work, it crashes on boot :( it only works when i switch to intel graphics in my gen11 cpu

Edit2: the 1080 card is not supported on legacy driver but in 460.67. I might be thinking wrong about this issue, driver is there that support 3070 but it might be xorg that dont support smth higher than gtx 1080?

Kind Regards

Edited 2 times, last by palle_c (March 19, 2022 at 6:18 AM).

• I did some more testing, i installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and nvidia driver 510 i think it was plus kodi 19.4

It starts and works with VDPAU and X11 window on rtx 3070

But i have to abandon it because its to much configuration needed to get where i was with libreelec, i mean with mce remote keymaps etc.

I only did the install for test purpose and i just have to wait until libreelec team either finds a fix for it or update nvidia drivers in a new 10 release, i have no idea if thats going to happen tho.

I am not switching to intel HD 740 IGPU and i cant just put a 1000$ card on the shelf ^^

Thanks for the help.

• LE technical direction is to drop X11 and switch to GBM .. the same "run on the framebuffer" approach that we've used on RPi images for the last decade and also use (via V4L2) on all other ARM SoC platforms. This works great with Intel and AMD GPUs and is in the early infancy of working with nVidia after they recently capitulated on doing their own thing (which nobody adopted) and gained mesa support. To be clear, nVidia are slowly moving in the right direction, but there is still lots of missing stuff (NVDEC) and no guarantee that nVidia GPUs will have good/full support under GBM anytime soon.

Our master development branch currently still supports GBM *and* X11 image types (and Wayland, which is used with Lakka) but since GBM is our main technical direction that's the only one we auto-build and publish for testing https://test.libreelec.tv/ .. but you can self-build an X11 image or hunt around in this forum to see if anyone's sharing them you can test. Currently you will need an X11 image to get the right drivers etc. to use the card.

Again, the built-in Intel GPU on the motherboard will outperform the nVidia card for LE use. If you want the nVidia card for some other OS and use-case (Gaming, etc.) that's fine, but for LE use the nVidia card is just going to cause problems for you. Don't put a $1000 card on the shelf, sell it and use the $$ for something more meaningful.

• Hey

I did some more testing with igpu and i i see the video quality is not as good as nvidias. i tested every setting i could see, in 3840x1600 i was limited to either 30hz or 75hz. i ran the nvidia at same resolution but with 74.94 with lancoz3-Optimized

i know its a nightly and not finished but in the middle of watching a tv series ep the video started to speed up and sound skipped.

I am putting my gtx 1080 back and going to see if i can use the 3070 elsewhere.

Thank you for the help