MXQPRO S905 Running 9.0.1 keeps locking up requiring power cycle to restore normal operation

• I have an old MXQPRO (not the 4k model) that previously ran the MBOX firmware. It never worked great from new and I have other reliable solutions I can use for streaming video. With that in mind I have tried to improve its operation by installing new firmware. This is where LibreELEC comes into the equation, I successfully managed to run version 9.0.1 initially from an SD card and subsequently from the internal storage using the transfer script.

When I power on the device it works ok for a random period of time before "locking up". I tried streaming a video from my NAS which starts off ok but after a short period I get a message saying "no route to host". This did me wonder if it was the wifi but connecting to a wired connection resulted in the same issue. I have tried "pinging" it from my NAS after it's up and running with the result that I successfully sent just over 1000 pings before the box stopped responding.

I tried downloading "Le Potato" S905 firmware but I get a message advising it's not compatible with my box when it attempts to upgrade it via the startup process.

Any ideas on how I can get some stability with the box, what I have noticed is the system info when the box stops responding shows one of the four processor percentage utilisation at 100%.

Stuart

• I tried all the dtech 9.2 images using the /storage/.update method and on restart and decompression I was advised they were not compatible. However I have carried out a forced update with the .nocompat option on all 3 images and they do install and run. However they experience the same issue where the network connection is lost after a random period, I have also had problems where no IP address is set when loaded and a restart was necessary.

I went back and tried the "Le Potato" image with a forced install, it does run but the network connection does not appear, a message referring to "remote" appeared when it loads.

Any ideas?

Stuart

Edited 2 times, last by StuartP (March 5, 2022 at 7:46 PM).

• I have an old MXQPRO (not the 4k model)...

Unfortunately, this does not tell you exactly what kind of device you have. We didn't really know anything specific, not even the size of the memory or the SoC model.

I have carried out a forced update with the .nocompat option on all 3 images and they do install and run.

Do you mean you have tried the KI-Pro (S905D), KI-Plus (S905) and MXQ Pro 4K 2G (S905X) images? That doesn't make much sense.

It should be tested with another DTB based on SoC and memory size, from here: http://libreelec.dtech.hu/device_trees/

Random updates with ".nocompat" are dangerous, if possible, test on a new SD card first and only update if it is stable on your device.

If you are not using the right DTB, don't be surprised if the system is unstable on your box.

• Unfortunately, this does not tell you exactly what kind of device you have. We didn't really know anything specific, not even the size of the memory or the SoC model.

Do you mean you have tried the KI-Pro (S905D), KI-Plus (S905) and MXQ Pro 4K 2G (S905X) images? That doesn't make much sense.

It should be tested with another DTB based on SoC and memory size, from here: http://libreelec.dtech.hu/device_trees/

Random updates with ".nocompat" are dangerous, if possible, test on a new SD card first and only update if it is stable on your device.

If you are not using the right DTB, don't be surprised if the system is unstable on your box.

I'm not sure how I never found the device tree link you have supplied in my previous searches. As far as the model is concerned I did try to find my original purchase info but no joy. That was my reason for referring to my box as MXQPRO (not 4k). Here is a photo of the pcb.

The SK Hynix H5TQ4G63AFR identifies as 4Gb DDR3 SDRAM

The Foresee NCEFAT28-08G identifies as 8Gb eMMC, although apparently it's an eMMC controller with NAND Flash.

I'm sure if I use images from the supplied device tree I will have a stable LibreELEC system, however I am now running a CoreElec 9.2.8 (gxb_p200_1g) which is working error free with full functionality.

Stuart

Edited once, last by StuartP (March 8, 2022 at 6:15 PM).