Tempest EPG Generator

• Hi everyone. My name is Kivanc and I am developer of Tempest EPG Generator which is a single php file xmltv formatted epg grabber with full GUI support. It is free and available in github on below link;

GitHub - K-vanc/Tempest-EPG-Generator: The Fastest XMLTV EPG Generating Tool with GUI and the lowest memory usage
    The Fastest XMLTV EPG Generating Tool with GUI and the lowest memory usage - GitHub - K-vanc/Tempest-EPG-Generator: The Fastest XMLTV EPG Generating Tool with…
    github.com

And briefly has following features

• Graphical User Interface (GUI) & Optimization For Mobile Devices

• Multiple Website Configuration Support

• The Highest Generating Speed

• The Lowest Memory Consumption

• Multiple Platform Support (Windows/Unix etc.)

• Multiple Async URL Support Up to 10

• Full Support For XMLTV Standart Elements

• Daylight Saving Time(DST) Support For Automatic Time Offset

Changes

• Easy Configuration Maker & Editor

• Powerful & Simple Command Syntax For Combo-

Operations/Modifications

• Scrapping Engine Built with Regex (Regular Expression) For

Powerful Operations

• Built-In Cyclone Module to Add Alternative For Failed Channel

• Built-In Time Converter to Change Times of All Shows Into

Requested Time Offset (DST Support)

• Built-In Inverter Module to Transfer XMLTV Elements Into

Description With Requested Order & Style

• Built-In Fusion Module to Keep Previous Dated Shows Up to 15

Days For Catch-Up Service

• Multiple Configuration File Support Up to 5000 Channels For Each

• Remote Access, Operations & Downloading (port-forwarding

required)

• Scheduled Operations (such as crontab etc.)

• Support For Scrapping From HTML, XML, CSV, TXT, XLS, PDF

(Experimental) & More…

You can start using currently available siteconfig files (will increase day by day) or create your owns.Please do not hesitate to contact about usage etc. from here or given contact mail in github

• Where does it grab the EPG data from?

Hi, it can grab the epg data from anywhere you want such as epg services where release premade epg data, ftp servers, local files or free contents available in internet such as websites of tv providers. Basicly there is no limit or single source of data.

• Code is obfuscated, seems sketchy, not to mention it seems the obfuscation creates massive bloat with non-sense goto's everywhere. At least in the US most legitimate sources for EPG data is a paid subscription.

At least with Schedules Direct there is a support channel for line-up issues, which does come up from time to time. The subchannels do change networks from time to time.

• Code is obfuscated, seems sketchy, not to mention it seems the obfuscation creates massive bloat with non-sense goto's everywhere. At least in the US most legitimate sources for EPG data is a paid subscription.

At least with Schedules Direct there is a support channel for line-up issues, which does come up from time to time. The subchannels do change networks from time to time.

hi frakkin64;

Yes, source code is obfuscated due to protect some of shared web sources being abused by iptv providers. If you check siteconfigs folder, you will notice that some web sources are as it is while some of them are encoded. Without source code obfuscation, it would be useless but for php it is still not so safe. Also if you check app source, you will see that no variable name, command or string is obfuscated. So basicly it is still safer than a closed source app but I can guarantee and take legal responsibilities that content in my github page which is shared by me, are completely safe and has no risk at all. Currently for US , i added tvtv.us. after copy/pasting downloaded file, You can go to "Channel Generator" tab, choose tvtv.us from drop down list and type your postal code to "User Key" box. Tempest will do all dynamic changes and give you an updated channel list which contains all channels linked to input postal code. I am an old wg+ member who left long time ago for my own grabber so I have some little small experience about dynamic contents ;) just give it a try and write me back please :)

• It's hard to describe my thoughts. The add-on name sounds like pirate shitware; but choosing dubious sounding names isn't against forum roles. Using a ton of code obfuscation isn't open-source minded, but again we don't have any explicit rules that say this is bad and against forum rules. The "I promise my code doesn't do bad stuff" is probably well intentioned but also seems to send the wrong vibe. TL/DR; it's all probably "legitimate" but my instincts are telling me this is shady and binning the thread will avoid drama.

• hi chewitt;

If there is something against to forum of course you may take action and I will understand. It was notifed me in kodi forum that name of project is in banned add-ons list but I was totally unaware about it and cannot change since I started this in 2019. Also it has no relation with any valid or banned add-on. This is Just an epg generating script with some good stuffs. As I already explained, source code is made hard to read to protect websources shared but source code is still open for any arbitary code search since all vars, commands, arrays and strings are kept untouched(For this reason). Thats why I repeat it is much more safer than any exe file Mostly used for same subject. But I have no other chance than respecting your decision

Maybe I should choose a name like epg-Dude to make everyone happy 😀

I am just asking for curiosity. I made a quick search and found tons of thread regarding webgrab. What makes it more secure for you ? An executable, completely closed source, has licence which is reading your mac/ip adresses and system information on each run, encryption etc and can do anything to your system btw they are even denying their responsibilities for the contents they sold! but why it is safer than my script?

Edited 3 times, last by kvanc (February 6, 2022 at 7:05 AM).

• any answer ? Or? To be honest, this is my work/project that I spent 2,5 years to develop. If you afraid of php, there is also a .pdf manual in github (briefly) explaining what it is and what it can called TempestWIKI which only 63 PAGES.. For couple of days, i am trying to explain people what I did and telling "it is free and will be free and you can do your own files as well, just take a look please.." with a result of 2 stars in github 1 belonged to me. And this kind of shady/sketchy/tricky words published just making people afraid and not makes a brighter situation for me... I dont know what you think but I am not stupid to attack people while all my personnel information/full name/bank account etc. are available in github and not that kind of maniac to hack bank accounts by giving free epg... So if you have concerns please mention it in better way than I can try to reply them instead of writing this kind of things to public. Because it is damaging more to me than completely deleting my post. I hope I managed to express abit how I am feeling

• I think if you read the terms on some of these sites you would see what your doing is not strictly legal. For example, tvtv.us says:

Permission is granted to view the materials (information or software) on LocalTvTv Inc.'s website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only.

This says the information can only be viewed on their website. It doesn't say you can scrape it, export it, or load it into another system and drive recording schedules on it. The word "transitory" means not permanent, in order to make use of it as an EPG makes it permanent.

By the way, it seems to me that tvtv.us probably earns money through ad-revenue on the website, which is why their terms of use is forcing use of the data through their website.

• In general you guys appear to be pretty hard on someone who has obviously spend a lot of time on this for PVR users and willing to offer help. The mods don't care about IPTV "subscriptions" most with stolen EPG data source, using mc2xml, zap2xml etc so this is really surprising. To say scraping is inherently wrong would break many of the official Kodi addons, some of this is based on a the user decision reading a site's TOS.

Of course any software could contain malware, but no one asks asks for closed-source before using it. It could also include log4j etc. Caveat emptor.

Martin

• hi again frakkin64;

At least, i am fulfilling "non-commercial" requirement but since other section is not so clear for me and I am not a lawyer, if website requests me, then I have to and will immediately delete for sure.

Most of the websites are using telemetry to analyse people interests and share with advertisement providers.

• In general you guys appear to be pretty hard on someone who has obviously spend a lot of time on this for PVR users and willing to offer help. The mods don't care about IPTV "subscriptions" most with stolen EPG data source, using mc2xml, zap2xml etc so this is really surprising. To say scraping is inherently wrong would break many of the official Kodi addons, some of this is based on a the user decision reading a site's TOS.

Of course any software could contain malware, but no one asks asks for closed-source before using it. It could also include log4j etc. Caveat emptor.

Martin

Thanks God! Finally, I met someone thinking like you, Martin ^^