HDR on x86 Hardware

• HDR/HDR10/HLG is already supported in LE and Kodi subject to the hardware supporting them; which is complicated on NUC type devices with LSPCON chips as those can modify the capabilities of the "HDMI" output path and prevent a universal/simple answer to what's supported. There are also bugs in Intel drivers that muddy the waters.

DV is already supported in Kodi (on Android with appropriately licensed hardware). However on Linux you will also need licensed hardware (so handling exists in silicon) and FFMpeg support. The latter appears to be progressing, but it will be a while before all pieces are version aligned. Kodi 'P' is about to bump from FFMpeg 6.0 to 7.0 and those patches are merged to FFMpeg master so should be in FFMpeg 8.x (or something post v7.0 at least) and there's likely to be more patching needed.

And for purists: There will never be an open-source implementation of DV to Dolby standards because the tooling and technical info needed for that require sign-up to their license regime (which is the polar opposite of open-source). So open-source DV support will always be limited to making something that looks nice on screen.

• HDR/HDR10/HLG is already supported in LE and Kodi subject to the hardware supporting them; which is complicated on NUC type devices with LSPCON chips as those can modify the capabilities of the "HDMI" output path and prevent a universal/simple answer to what's supported. There are also bugs in Intel drivers that muddy the waters.

DV is already supported in Kodi (on Android with appropriately licensed hardware). However on Linux you will also need licensed hardware (so handling exists in silicon) and FFMpeg support. The latter appears to be progressing, but it will be a while before all pieces are version aligned. Kodi 'P' is about to bump from FFMpeg 6.0 to 7.0 and those patches are merged to FFMpeg master so should be in FFMpeg 8.x (or something post v7.0 at least) and there's likely to be more patching needed.

And for purists: There will never be an open-source implementation of DV to Dolby standards because the tooling and technical info needed for that require sign-up to their license regime (which is the polar opposite of open-source). So open-source DV support will always be limited to making something that looks nice on screen.

Thank you for the quick response and clarification,
    In fact, I tried the LE12 for HLG from addon PVR DVBViewer, (4K & 50Hz) but i have black screen in some channel and signal HLG not work in other channel

• Try this build.

@SM, I have had this issue at LE 11 and now LE12, I have tried diff ver's and various settings nothing seems to resolved it
    When I changed channel it flickers for fow seconds before it changes

I wonder if the a know issue or its just me alone that have such issue as I have search the forum, no one seems to complain about it

What I done is initiate a log debug if this will captured where it issue lies

Loading and changing channels in LE 10 is very snappy, no lagging of flickering at all

here is the url please any suggestions thanks

hastebin

• This was fixed in Kodi 22 "P", so wait for LE13.

Thanks

I was playing around with the setting in player>video>processing

* when I unchecked "Allow using DRM PRIME decoder and allow hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME

results

-Movies and TV shows played fine with Hardware decoding

-Live Tv flickers when I change channel play back Hardware decoding

* when I checked "Allow using DRM PRIME decoder and allow hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME

-Movies and TV shows played but video software decoding

-Live Tv did not flickers when I change channel play back software decoding

Just my observations, anyway I will revert to LE 10.4 where every thing seems work perfectly

I am looking forward to LE13

Thanks

• @SM Pls help I have attempted to revert to LE10, but it fails, I event tried these official LE11 and LE12, same issues.

Edited once, last by e123enitan: I resolved this issue, I took shy LE12 upgraded which over ride Sky LE12 BT2020, After then I load LE 10.4, now every thing is fine (June 17, 2024 at 4:01 AM).

• Kodi supports upgrading. It does not (and never has) supported downgrading. In LE the OS packaging (everything in the read-only SYSTEM file) means the core OS and Kodi itself will downgrade fine, and newer Kodi DB versions created during upgrade will be ignored. However settings, add-ons, and add-on settings in the persistent /storage area were updated from LE10 to LE12 and those do not downgrade and will not be compatible with LE10. If you manually delete /strorage/.kodi/addons/* it will probably work again. If not, you might need to trash /storage/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml as well. And no guarantees on /storage/.kodi/userdata/add_data/* settings being compatible either. You may end up needing to clean reinstall.

• issue fixed on this build: LibreELEC (ae-fork)

[ URL to Piracy infested fork removed ]

and HDR & HLG work better If i disable hardware acceleration (VAAPI)

• I am trying out LibreELEC 12 on an Intel N4020 (Gemini Lake Refresh) with a LG TV and I keep getting repeated occurrences of 2-3 seconds of black screens during playback when I switch to a 4k24 HDR mode (RGB 12b). These black screens also appears when I go back to the menu after playback has stopped (4K24 RGB 12b SDR). If I set the resolution to 4k60 HDR (RGB 8b) these black screens go away. I have tried the same HDMI cable on a AMLogic device and it is able to output up these modes (albeit YCbCr) fine, so I don't think it's a cable issue.

The kodi debug logs don't really seem to have anything in them 4K24(https://paste.kodi.tv/umixasocej.kodi) 4K60(https://paste.kodi.tv/sapeyakaja.kodi). `dmesg` also has nothing appearing in it. Are there any other logs I can look at?

• Well, it reads exactly like a cable issue. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS and graphics firmware that might be available. Intel have a long history of buggy firmware.

I tried other cables and had the same issue. The Amlogic device also worked fine with the same cables. According to this chart https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews…able-medium.jpg, 4k60 8b RGB (17.82 Gb/s) has a higher bandwidth requirement than 4k24 12b RGB (13.37 Gb/s). Given that the higher bandwidth mode was working fine, i thought that the cable wasn't an issue.

I am running the latest bios (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/…mId/vc-328930-1), but HP's changelogs aren't really an indication of whether they fixed any HDMI related issues. There doesn't seem to be any separate graphics firmware listed either.

Are there any other logs I can look at?

• HDMI 2.0 on Gemini Lake is finicky. I came up with this kernel hack to make it work without random black screens on a Samsung TV:

No idea if this would help in your case.

• HDMI 2.0 on Gemini Lake is finicky. I came up with this kernel hack to make it work without random black screens on a Samsung TV:

No idea if this would help in your case.

Will probably test a bit more, but so far no screen blackouts after applying this patch. Any reason this isn't merged in upstream?