Question regarding DRM PRIME

• questions:

why do I see "ff-h264-drm_prime (SW) ?

does it mean all GPU-HW-Features are switched off ?

Yes, but only for that particular codec depending on HW capabilities, for example VP9 profile 1 might show (HW) but VP9 profile 2 might show (SW) or the hardware decoder might support 8bit colour and not 10bit (which is fairly common).

• thanks powerarmour

it's a NUC8 with Iris Plus Graphics 655

sorry, codec, profile, xybit, is currently "a number to high" for me :cry:

it's sufficing to know if I "unexpected regarding the wording" get more load on my CPU when "Allow hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME" is on.

I guess that's the case ?!

NUC: cooling <=> loudness !!!

• "Allow hardware acceleration" does not mean "only allow" .. it means we will use it when it's technically possible. As GDPR-7 said, not all hardware will support all media/codec types for hardware decode, and when something is not possible we fall back to software (CPU) decode which will generate heat .. and that's when people regret choosing boxes with cooling fans instead of a large passive heatsink :)

• not all hardware will support all media/codec types for hardware decode, and when something is not possible we fall back to software (CPU) decode

according to this:

scroll to:

=> "Hardware-accelerated algorithms"

=> "...Coffee Lake..."

my GPU is/should be able to decode h264 in hardware and therefore is makes me wonder it does not when "Allow hardware acceleration..." is on.

AFAIK "DRM PRIME" does some "offload" the GPU, but putting all load on the CPU is to be sure the most "GPU offload" :D one could get, but not what one would expect.

I guess I need to read/learn more on this stuff !

any pointer ?

I don't regret having bought the NUC.

but it's some work with this NUC to find the right compromise for cooling (ventilator speed) and heat

• ...fall back to VAAPI, is HW decoding shown then?

of course it is !

and that *is* the main point for opening this thread:

having usually HW decoding and additionally switching "hardware acceleration with DRM PRIME" ON shouldn't switch all HW decoding OFF

with DRM PRIME off: HW decoding is enable/active for h264 (see attachment below)

with DRM PRIME on: HW decoding is disabled/in-active for h264 (see attachment im comment #1)

• Can anybody please tell me how to get such information like the ones in the photographs? I have been using Kodi for a long time and could never see such info screen that includes the "decoder" that is being used.