Using a splitter on Pi 4 HDMI 0 output

• Long time lurker of this forum - have managed to solve most issues with the help of previous posts/solutions made.

However, I would like any comments to the feasibility of doing the following - not necessarily a LibreElec issue but might be!

I have a new 65" 4k Samsung tv that I would like to use with LibreElec on my Pi 4 in conjunction with my laser PJ (it is 1080p but accepts 4k/hdr signals - HDMI 2.0).

The idea would be to use the tv for general viewing and the pj (onto a 120" screen) for action + 3D films but only 1 display will be on at a time.

I intend using a 1x2 splitter to feed the tv + pj. - wiring would be pi hdmi 0 to splitter and pi hdmi 1 to Onkyo avr (hdmi 1.3a). Individually (i.e. hdmi 0 to tv and then hdmi 0 to pj) it works fine.

Product info:

1x2 4K HDMI Cascading Splitter - PSG3429

Product Overview

This HDMI splitter transmitting high definition video and audio signals to 2x HD display. It is cascaded (8x levels), meaning - it has the ability to further signal splitting from the outputs, if required. It supports video up to 4K. It features a built-in scaler and thanks to its slim design it fits almost all types of AV applications.

1x IN & 2x OUT - HDMI 4K, 60Hz

HDCP2.2 & 1.4

Cascading up to 8x levels

Built-in scaler

Power supply: MicroUSB

Dimensions (HxWxD): 9x83x40mm

The question is will this work or could it cause problems for LibreElec/Kodi/pi - e.g. EDID issues (although I do have separate fixed EDIDs for each pi outputs).

Thanks in advance for any comments.

• When LE boots, it grabs supported resolutions from the output device. If you use exactly the same HDMI mode (resolution, refresh rate, progressive / interlaced) for both output devices, then it should work without tweaks.

• The idea would be to use the tv for general viewing and the pj (onto a 120" screen) for action + 3D films but only 1 display will be on at a time.

I intend using a 1x2 splitter to feed the tv + pj. - wiring would be pi hdmi 0 to splitter and pi hdmi 1 to Onkyo avr (hdmi 1.3a). Individually (i.e. hdmi 0 to tv and then hdmi 0 to pj) it works fine.

So why not use a Switch insteade of a Splitter on HDMI 0 of the Raspberry PI 4?

If you use a Splitter, the Video from the Raspberry would go to Samsung TV and the Laser PJ at the same Time, and it's possible that this causes some Problems even if one of the components is turned off.

If you use a Switch, you can choose to which Component (Samsung TV or Laser PJ) the Video goes by switching the output either to the TV or PJ.

Because you plan to use only one Component (Samsung TV or Laser PJ) at the time, this solutions seems much better.

If you made a "Whitelist" in LibreElec with exactly the same HDMI mode (resolution, refresh rate, progressive / interlaced) for both output devices like Da Flex says, it should work without tweaks.

• Da Flex - thanks, I think I'll go ahead and buy the splitter.

Niceguy

The problem is finding an automatic 4k60 1x2 switch.

There are some 4k60 switches that require a physical "switch" to change displays but, not that I'm being too lazy to get up and do this, the routing of the cables will make it awkward to access the switch.

I think I'm going to go with the splitter I mentioned and suppose I can always return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your advice though.

re Whitelist - fortunately the EDIDs from the tv and pj match for all the resolutions I'm interested in (apart from the pj having sbs & tab due to it's 3d capabilities).