Raspberry 4, Libreelec 10.0.1, no picture after reboot

• HiassofT Thanks. If you go back to my original posts I didn't mention 4k @ 60Hz. I didn't think that was relevant to my initial concerns. All of my 4k content plays with a refresh rate less than 60Hz. But I thought that with you wanting me to add that line to the config file it might help with my black screen situation...?

I always run the GUI at 1080p at 60Hz. Seems the best all round experience, the video content will auto switch to what is needed and whitelisted.

Today, just as I was preparing to boot up into Kodi by switching on the Pi, it paused for a long time again during that boot, after the coloured square splash screen. This time I do not switch it off but go back into my other room and try and SSH into it. By the time I got the SSH app up and going I could do this and then put the new latest nightly into the update folder. I went back into the other room where the Pi and large TV are and the Kodi screen was there.

Perhaps, as you pointed out by you pinging the Pi Devs in regards to the bug within the video driver that is where the problem is.

BTW Since I changed my external inputs to the first attachment I now get 60Hz if ever needed in the Kodi settings, see second attachment.

Could you tell me if changes made to the config file remain after the Pi is updated by using the nightly updates OR would it be wiped clean..?

By the way I kept the two changes you suggested within the config file.

Long black pauses are still an issue.

Thanks

Edited once, last by Vimes (January 18, 2022 at 9:01 AM).

• Changes to config.txt will be preserved when updating (only on very rare occasions eg, on 9.x->10.0 update, it will be reset).

As we didn't see the "long black pauses" on LE10 / kernel 5.10 yet it would be great if you could test with my LE10 build and see if force_turbo and/or hdmi_enable_4kp60 make a difference.

Here's the info popcornmix (RPi dev) sent me - "flip done" in dmesg/journal is the issue and that's causing black screen and delays:

I get flip done errors on 5.15. Most often within first minute (I see gui but screen goes blank shortly after). If I get past that point it will typically run for many hours but flip done has occurred while playing video. I've not seen flip done on 5.10 (with many hours of watching).

My home system is 1080p. It's possible certain resolution/refresh rates are more likely to fail (eg calculation for core clock is not generous enough). force_turbo=1 (possibly with hdmi_enable_4kp60 for the extra 50MHz) would be an interesting test to see if it clock related.

If you can find out anything (even if none of the suggested options make a difference) it'd help us a lot as we can't seem to reproduce the issue here with LE10...

so long,

Hias

• HiassofT in my simple way this is what I have.....One SD card with the latest nightly (like the HDR10 tags btw) and that is experiencing those long black pauses. I sometimes see shorter, but still there, pauses when it tries to change resolutions and refresh rates when playing a file that is different to the UI. That can be most noticeable.

I also have a second SD card with this version loaded......

LE 10.0.1 / Rpi4 / No picture after update from LE 10.0.0 - Page 3 - Bug Reports - LibreELEC Forum

see post #42 posted by you. Is it in that version you wish me to test for these black screen type pauses...?

Once booted (nightlies) it seems to be fine, apart from those sometimes noted resolution and refresh changes I mentioned.

So would you like me to test the one linked in this post, rather than carry on with the nightlies..?

Edited once, last by Vimes (January 18, 2022 at 12:00 PM).

• HiassofT Ok will do...

This is my setup with two Rasp Pi's ver 4B rev 1.4....

I might have something that could be interesting BUT more testing is required. Since I have changed my HDMI port to "Enhanced" (see photo above in post #19) the Nightly Pi has been booting and rebooting without issue. It also has been switching resolution as needed very responsively, without pause.

When first booted, after the Pi coloured square splash screen, it now goes immediately to the Libreelec boot screen. EVEN if that worked before there was a delay before it did that, sometimes failing with an even longer black screen delay. No black screens noted as yet.

But I will keep testing, this time on the nightly build, as I feel that it could well be resolved due to the port being set to enhanced and support 4k at 60Hz. Not sure of the technical reasons as to why that could happen.

• Well I had hoped that things were working ok after the change to "enhanced" HDMI port. But this morning I booted the Pi (nightly build) and it did the coloured splash and then a flash to the Libreelec boot screen before it seemed to try and change resolution (?) but then vanish to a black screen. It did this several times on each power off and on attempt to boot it. Eventually booting ok to a Kodi screen.

This can happen using either of the Raspberry Pi 4B's shown in the photo in post #4

• Vimes can you confirm if the black screen shortly after boot issue only occurs with the nightly builds (which use kernel 5.15), or if they also occur with Matrix builds (using kernel 5.10).

I believe I've seen a similar issue on 5.15 kernel, but never on 5.10.

I've set up a LE nightly build to auto-reboot every 2 minutes and unfortunately it ran all day yesterday without showing the issue.

Any info on what makes it occur more often would be useful.

e.g. any non-default config.txt settings, display resolution and refresh rate. Whether it happens on a clean install, or only after libraries/addons are set up.

• popcornmix

Yes I will do that. I just wanted to confirm if the changes to the port made a difference.

When I move over to the other Pi with the build noted by HiassofT do you want me to add the command (drm.debug=0x04 ) to the cmdline.txt file and post the contents gained from it for you, if it happens.?

Am I right in thinking that you are running at 1080p me not 4k.?

When I switch to HDMI 3 it is at 4k. Part of that boot process seems to make changes before it gets to the Kodi desktop at 1080p 60Hz.

You have not asked for it but here are the contents of that file from a SUCCESSFUL boot with the Matrix build linked previously. It does boot "smoother" and straight to the Kodi UI, much more responsively than the nightly build.................

PasteKodi contents

if and when I get any failings to boot I will try and post that also, provided I can still SSH to the Pi.

Thanks

Edited once, last by Vimes (January 19, 2022 at 12:30 PM).

• I have been running on the Matrix build, testing many times with reboots and fully powering off, via the Kodi shutdown menu and finally by switching the power off to the Pi when all activity stops. Then powering the Pi back up.

It has never made a black no signal screen yet.

I will keep using that build, but so far it has been fine. The boot process is quick and smooth.

Apart from what I have been asked to include in the config file it is vanilla. This problem occurred even with a vanilla config file. No difference there.

Both the TV shows and Movie libraries are populated but as the blank screen starts just after the coloured square PI screen it doesn't suggest it gets far into the boot process of Kodi.

I will keep testing.

• popcornmix  HiassofT just keeping you both informed....

Been running on the Matrix 19.3 build on one of my Pi's and it has been great. No black screens during boot and fast and responsive boot and transitions when changing resolutions and refresh rates. It just works.

Reboots have also been working well.

If that changes I'll post back but so far it remains good.

• Hi.

just upgraded to libreelec 10.0.2 and I am facing the same issue.

This used to happen in 10.0.0 but it was very rare. Now it happens everytime I boot unless I remove the hdmi cable and power cable and restart
    This is my paste kodi link
    http://ix.io/3RZf!Update I was using an old bootloader. I did an update on that but the problem remains. Here is the paste kodi link
    http://ix.io/3RZy

my config.txt has

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

hdmi_pixel_encoding=2

raspberry pi 4 is connected via hdmi A to a
    yamaha rx-a 2020 AV amplifier
    which is connected to an Ep$on eh-tw7200 projector.

raspberry pi boots before the AV-amplifier so at the time of boot there is really no display present that is why I have hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    when this happens it is as if libreelec does not boot at all. I have no ssh access at that point.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited 2 times, last by spooker (March 12, 2022 at 12:24 AM).

• In this case you have to run "getedid create" to permanently install the edid - hdmi options in config.txt no longer have any effect. See also the release notes https://libreelec.tv/2022/03/09/lib…nges-since-le92

so long,

Hias

I removed all hdmi_* lines in config.txt except
    hdmi_pixel_encoding=2

ran getedid create
    which seems to have updated cmdline.txt
    with
    drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin,HDMI-A-2:edid/edid-HDMI-A-2.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D video=HDMI-A-2:D
    I also added drm.debug=0x04 at the end.
    http://ix.io/3S0T

I still have the same behaviour. That is with the amplifier and projector powered off I powerup raspberry pi.
    First boot is ok. Then from ssh I poweroff. Next reboot fails to start raspberry pi 4. This is consistent and then I need to remove the power and hdmi cable in order to restart succefully again.

I am using the first hdmi output (that is the one near to the power port). I see some error in the log above regarding the second port but I believe they are irrelevant since nothing is connected to the second port

Feb 02 17:29:47.580644 LibreELEC kernel: platform HDMI-A-2: loading /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-2.bin failed with error -22 Feb 02 17:29:47.580734 LibreELEC kernel: platform HDMI-A-2: Direct firmware load for edid/edid-HDMI-A-2.bin failed with error -22 Feb 02 17:29:47.580790 LibreELEC kernel: [drm:edid_load] *ERROR* Requesting EDID firmware "edid/edid-HDMI-A-2.bin" failed (err=-22)

is there any way to ignore the edid and force a resolution (does hdmi_ignore_edid still work on rpi4 ?)

Edited 6 times, last by spooker (March 12, 2022 at 10:05 AM).

• Something went wrong, you should not have HDMI-A-2 in cmdline.txt unless you actually plugged something into the second HDMI port.

Remove all hdmi entries in config.txt (also the pixel encoding, it doesn't have any effect), ssh in and run "getedid delete", then reboot.

After that run "getedid create" again, it should report successful install of HDMI-A-1 edid and cmdline.txt should have drm.edid_firmware and video settings for HDMI-A-1 (but not HDMI-A-2):

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # getedid create
    successfully installed edid override for HDMI-A-1
    LibreELEC:~ # cat /flash/cmdline.txt
    boot=UUID=2907-5719 disk=UUID=cf0bbd10-802c-41cf-bb8b-3bbe78425239 console=serial0,115200 earlycon=pl011,mmio32,0xfe201000 systemd.debug_shell drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D

If LE doesn't come up after reboot or power off that's most likely a different issue, not related to video. You should at least have network (ping / ssh).

The logfile shows you installed an autostart.sh, what are you running from there? Might be worth removing that for testing - trying with a clean LE10.0.2 install on a separate SD card might also be worth a try.

so long,

Hias

• The logfile shows you installed an autostart.sh, what are you running from there? Might be worth removing that for testing - trying with a clean LE10.0.2 install on a separate SD card might also be worth a try.

so long,

Hias

I have this hat
    https://www.msldigital.com/collections/al…=30268836610182
    which is a power switch for the raspberry pi.
    The script in autostart.sh is seen here
    https://www.msldigital.com/pages/shutdown…ec-and-openelec

I am now trying with a fresh installation, to further investigate

• Ah, this is important information. I highly suspect your poweroff/reboot issues are related to that hat - haven't seen anything similar on plain RPi4 installations (reboot, poweroff and then powercycling and gpio-shutdown overlay with a button all work fine).

so long,

Hias

I was able to pinpoint the issue. It seems related to the hdmi switch that I have. When a second computer is connected to the hdmi switch although it is not currently selected by the switch it seems to be powering the switch. Somehow this power reaches the pi through the hdmi port (I was able to verify this during shutdown of the pi I disconnected the power cable and the pi still gets power....) Not sure how this is possible but if I disconnect the second computer from the hdmi switch all works perfectly.
    Thanks Hias.

• I installed 10.0.2 over the weekend. I still have problems with the 4kp60. I turned on the switch in the config.txt. Then I set the refresh rate to 60Hz in the settings. That works too and I have a picture. If I turn off the screen and turn it on again after 10 seconds, I no longer get a picture. I only get a picture again after restarting the RPi4. The behavior can be reproduced.