How do I fix the error that appears on boot?

• I just arrived in this forum, greetings to everyone

I have a problem after buying a card that allows me to mount two micro SD cards on the raspberry: one with Volumio and the other with LibreElec ver. 10.01

Volumio booting works fine, LibreElec booting does not.

Volumio fits on an 8Gb card, LibreElec on a 32Gb.

If I invert the two micro SD cards in the adapter card, the same thing happens!

LibreElec starts the splashscreen and then returns:

"error in mount storage: mount_common".

The same microSd with LibreElec works great if I insert it directly into the Rasperry

I think the adapter card has no problems because swapping the two cards one always works! I think the problem is not the card where LibreElec is because without an adapter it works!

I ask you for help. Maybe I should start over with LibreElec copied to the 32Gb card as now to make it expand already inserted in the adapter card I bought?

• Go to Best Answer
  • If you use cards on their own, they both work. If you use the adapter, one of the cards does not work. The non-working card changes when you swap them around (i.e. the slot is bad, not the card). Thus .. either the adapter is bad (as one of the slots will always be non-working) or that kind of adapter simply isn't supported. In either case, I'm not seeing an LE problem here. You could use PINN or NOOBS if you want to have multiple OS booting from the same card.

• If you use cards on their own, they both work. If you use the adapter, one of the cards does not work. The non-working card changes when you swap them around (i.e. the slot is bad, not the card). Thus .. either the adapter is bad (as one of the slots will always be non-working) or that kind of adapter simply isn't supported. In either case, I'm not seeing an LE problem here. You could use PINN or NOOBS if you want to have multiple OS booting from the same card.

I didn't explain myself well: if I swap the cards on the adapter, only the one where Volumio is installed always works. In this way, in fact, it turns out that always and only the 32Gb card does not work. I deduce (am I wrong?) That the adapter works. After all, the splash screen of LE appears, so the card is read! Only, once the splashscreen appears, it does not continue loading and the error appears at the top right of the screen as already explained. Sorry if I insisted, but it seems to me that I have not explained myself well.

• As I kept looking for a solution, I found this thread

bit4freak
    October 26, 2017 at 2:27 PM

There is talk of another hardware, but certainly also of the same problem and perhaps a possible solution. I don't know anything about programming so I have no idea how to do it ... Maybe here in the forum some expert reading that is able to solve the problem I posed. I hope...

• On a Raspberry Pi the error means it booted from the KERNEL file and executed the init script inside, but this cannot find disk=?? device that was specified in kernel boot params (from cmdline.txt on a Pi device).

If cmdline.txt has disk=UUID=xxxx then perhaps change it to disk=LABEL=STORAGE and see if that works?

If you have a USB keyboard you can create a directory, mount the SD card to the directory, then use cat/sed to read/change the content of the cmdline.txt file and reboot. If you don't, remove the SD card and edit it from another computer. It's in the root folder of the SD card.

• Hey! Great Chewitt! 8)

If I understand correctly (I know very little about these topics, but I gladly learn) then the problem can be solved!!!

Now I apply myself to understand sentence by sentence what you say that must be done, then I will try to solve it.

I hope I can ask you the specific "what to do" questions here ;)

• 1. I have a keyboard that I connect via bluetooth to the pi4 through the USB transmitter.

2. I don't understand the next sentence. You say to create a directory I guess after mounting the microSD, then using the command cat / sed. ALT!

Have patience, follow as I interpret your instructions

a. I will insert the microSD into a PC with Linux as the operating system

b. I will mount the microSd

c. i will create a directory.

If the sequence seems correct to you I don't understand where I should create that directory.

In mine I read about a single directory named "overlays" for example. Do I need to create a second directory at this level or inside "overlays"?

Excuse me...

• I also understand that I could do the same job by leaving the card in the pi4. But how do I edit the cmdline.txt file? That is, if I am in Kodi where do I find the possibility to start an editor to do what you tell me?

• I tried opening the cmdline.txt file from Windows Notepad. Can't I insert corrections to the string you tell me to make from here? Do you have to do it from pi4 or from a Linux distro with the "sed" command?

• I tried to mount the microSD in Linux. By reading the cmdline.txt file with linux text editor i get this content:

boot = UUID = 3010-5350 disk = LABEL = STORAGE quiet

Since this is a txt file, I could not modify it with the Linux text editor?

• Before I answered I wanted to try it myself. I read the file from a PC with Linux. I changed it from "boot = UUID = 3010-5350 disk = LABEL = STORAGE quiet" to

"boot = disk = LABEL = STORAGE quiet" as I think I understood that you were asking me to do (first I proceeded to rename the original file without modifying it!).

The result still is

*** Error in mount_flash: mount_part: Unknow filesystem disk=LABEL=STORAGE ***

• Code
    boot=UUID=3010-5350 disk=LABEL=STORAGE quiet

It's a text file. It's better to edit it in Notepad++ to avoid Windows line endings, but it can be done from Windows. Note that it should look like above, no spaces between "boot = UUID" etc.

• Thank you! But do you mean that between 5350 (in my case) and disk there must be no space?

I should write like this instead?

boot=UUID=3010-5350disk=LABEL=STORAGE quiet

I take this opportunity to certify that the uuid code reported is correct. I checked it with the command in Linux's terminal!

So the error is not this ... but then what is it and why does it occur only with these adapters? Inserting the microSD into Linux using the same adapters, to try, I see everything as if I were directly inserting the card ...

• Code
    boot=UUID=0602-0454 disk=UUID=a7ecf32f-d897-4f8e-b760-03d219e31c88 quiet ssh

^ cmdline.txt normally looks like this, with both "boot" and "disk" using UUID identifier. I'm not sure why yours is using =label for the "disk" but it can be changed. The UUID will be unique to each .img.gz file that we release so ^ above is NOT something you can use, as it's for an image I've created that you don't have. You can find the UUIDs for your image using "blkid" command. It will look something like:

Code
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="LIBREELEC" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="0602-0454" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="a0ebf7ce-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="a7ecf32f-d897-4f8e-b760-03d219e31c88" BLOCK_SIZE="1024" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a0ebf7ce-02"

You can see that the /dev/mmcblk0p1 (partition 1) needs UUID=0602-0454 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 (partition 2) has a much longer UUID=

a7ecf32f-d897-4f8e-b760-03d219e31c88 .. and in cmdline.txt there is a space between the boot=UUID=<string> and disk=UUID=<string> sections.

• I'm sorry, but even following your wise guidance ... it doesn't work.

I used blkid from Linux and got this script following your example slavishly, but it still gives the same error

boot=UUID=3010-5350 disk=UUID=a8e8a687-3b0f-472c-a2e4-3e8c903fd088 quiet ssh

Yet when I insert the same card directly the law!

But ... I don't know why, but now it no longer even reads the SD on which I had put Volumio.

That everything depends on the software with which they are formatted

the microSD, BEFORE using the programs needed to install libreElec and Volumio?