Chrome Update Question

• Hello, First of all thanks for this amazing creation!!

Running latest generic build with LE at 10.0.1, Kodi at 19.3, LE addon repo at 10.0.0 and Chrome addon at 10.0.0.107 which gives me google chrome version 92.0.4515.107. Chrome gives popup saying a update is available. I see in chrome addon setting that there is an auto-update switch which is set to on. Does this mean chrome should auto update itself when google updates or does it mean that chrome will update when chrome addon is updated by LE team or only when the whole of LE itself is updated? I see by LE GitHub that chrome addon is at version 111 which would be google version 96.0.4664.45.

Thanks in advance

• Go to Best Answer
  • sadly our buildserver can't compile the chrome addon for some reason, so someone (me) needs to manually build and ship it - thats why it takes a lot longer then usual

updated now

• Hello everyone. Here is a way that works for me to manually update chrome while waiting for the official update.

1) Uninstall chrome addon, save data if you wish.

2) Download from repo again but before running the addon.

3) SSH into the following file, I use WinSCP. /storage/.kodi/addons/browser.chrome/bin/chrome-downloader and edit line 12 CHROME_FILE="google-chrome-stable_96.0.4664.45-1_amd64.deb" by changing 96.0.4664.45 to what ever the current stable chrome release is after a google search for it. Ex: 97.0.4692.20

4) Save file, exit SSH.

5) Run chrome addon now and it will download, extract, and install the latest stable release.

6) Next chrome update popup, repeat process.

Hopefully this works for you.

• Thanks CvH, I did consider that before I tried my experiment. I figured if it did break something I would just uninstall and reinstall.

Have used this way a couple of times to update and have not had any problems. (Lucky?) It's a shame you have to do extra work, it's much appreciated. Any idea why buildserver won't work with addon?

• Hey, I'm trying to follow these instructions but I already fail finding the chrome addon in the Libreelec repo? Like the Thread Starter I'm at these versions: LE at 10.0.1, Kodi at 19.3, LE addon repo at 10.0.0

• Going to directory /storage/.kodi/addons/browser.chrome and removing file extract.ok forces a reload of the chrome binary next time you run the chrome addon. This is much more convenient than uninstalling the chrome installer, thus loosing your preferences, bookmarks, etc.

I just updated my LE 10.0.0.2 to 106.0.5249.61-1 (version number from ubuntu) using the process in post #6, and was lucky to see no new libraries were needed.

Edited once, last by robvh: Pointed to post #6 (September 30, 2022 at 11:15 AM).