Unable to upgrade from 8.2 to 10.1

• Hi,

I'm trying to update from 8.2 to 10.1 on a Zotak ZBOX-ID18 using the LIBREELEC CONFIGURATION add-on. I chose the LibreELEC-10.0 Update Channel and the 10.0.1 version, which I downloaded directly using the add-on.

However, once the download ends and the installation begins, an error appears :

*** Error in check-update: mount_common: could not mount /storage/.update/system ***

just like in this post :

*** Error in check-update

I press the Escape button, and LibreELEC reboots to the initial 8.2 version.

I also tried creating a bootable USB drive, but it doesn't boot on restart.

How can I upgrade from 8.2 to 10.1? Thanks for your help,

Daustin

• Was there a OpenELEC -> LibreELEC update before ?

If so likely you partitions are out of date (you need a 512MB Boot Partition).

Backup -> reinstall -> Import Backup is a solution, you could also fixt the Partition size with "Gparted Live"

If not, try 8.2 -> 9.2 -> 10 Update.

• I have the same error when I try to update to 9.2.

Yes, there was OpenELEC -> LibreELEC update before, so I tried to change the partition size : I used rufus to create a bootable USB thumbdrive with Gparted Live image on it, but it doesn't boot. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5_tCkzuVQ but when I choose the USB thumbdrive to boot, an error appears for less than a second:

LE then just boots as normal to 8.2

I would like to do a clean install, but I can't seem to boot from USB thumbdrive either with the 10.1 image which was created using the LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32 tool. After I select the USB thumdrive, LE just boots as normal to 8.2.

Edited once, last by Daustin (November 21, 2021 at 1:33 PM).

• I used PuTTY to apply the code, then I downloaded and launched the update 10.1 from within the LIBREELEC CONFIGURATION add-on.

The update still failed : "(FAT) partition is too small for this update, there is not enough space for the update to be installed"

It is the same error which appears when I download and launch the update 9.2.6 from within the add-on.

How can I boot from the USB Drive? LE does not allow to me to boot to either gparted or the LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32 10.1 image.

Edited once, last by Daustin (November 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM).

• How can I boot from the USB Drive? LE does not allow to me to boot to either gparted or the LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32 10.1 image.

Your BIOS decide what to boot. Try to change boot order (you can even disable HD boot), USB connector, USB stick, loaded image ... until it is satisfied.

• Thank you MatteN, CvH and mglae ! It worked perfectly!

I installed Gparted Live on the USB thumbdrive. I pressed delete to get into the bios of the machine, and chose to boot from the USB thumbdrive. I used Gparted Live to increase the size of the partition to 512MB, then rebooted the machine from the main SSD drive. From within the LIBREELEC CONFIGURATION add-on I chose the 9.0 Update channel and updated to 9.2. I rebooted the machine and then did the same to update to 10.1.

It's all working perfectly. Thank you!