Wireguard Server LE 10

• Hi guys,

I'm struggling to install wireguard server on docker in LE 10, using portainer, on my RPI4B.

I'm receiving the following error:

I've set the volumes as follow:

Host/volumePath in container
    /storage/.config/wireguard/config
    /lib/modules/lib/modules

Don't know why it doesn't find the kernel headers :( Is there anything else that I need to set?

Thank you!

Edited once, last by Xorm (October 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM).

• I have been using this for a long time and it works great. My SSH command to create the container is this, then you just have to start it:

To configure the clients you just have to look at /storage/.config/dockers/wireguard/config

• I have been using this for a long time and it works great. My SSH command to create the container is this, then you just have to start it:

To configure the clients you just have to look at /storage/.config/dockers/wireguard/config

Hi Elonesna,

Thank you so much for your help, now the server is up and running.

Since I'm using portainer I wasn't able to insert the --net=host command (you know where should I put it in the portainer configuration?)

For the ones struggling with the cap-add command, you find them under the capabilities tab in the container configuration

Now, I've configured both the raspberry and my phone as clients, below the raspberry configuration:

However from my phone, when I open the tunnel and I'm not at home, I'm unable to connect to internet nor access any service available at home (like transmission, sonarr, etc...).

Instead, from raspberry, when I use connmanctl services in SSH, i see only my wifi connection, nothing else....

Probably is something on my router that I need to change....

Maybe can you help me?

Edited once, last by Xorm (October 28, 2021 at 11:24 AM).

• Sorry I don't use portainer to create containers, I use SSH and hub.docker and github recommendations.

Yes, but the server has been configured as you wrote.

Now the problem is that i'm unable to connect from the phone to my local network when the VPN is on: the configuration is exactly as you said.

Do youo know why i cannot connect?

• Yes, but the server has been configured as you wrote.

Now the problem is that i'm unable to connect from the phone to my local network when the VPN is on: the configuration is exactly as you said.

Do youo know why i cannot connect?

Sorry, I am not a guesser, you have not told me how you have configured your phone and you have not told me what operating system your phone uses.

The configuration of an android client is much easier than a LE client, you just have to export the client configuration file to the device, for example, peer_peer3.conf and import this configuration from the Android WireGuard application. You may have to edit these settings from the same android application to adjust the server address (it can be a public ddns, a static public IP, or a home network IP address only valid at home), you could also adjust the dns. Obviously you have to have configured the router to redirect the internet input to the wireguard server, which you should know and is common to all 'normal' servers as wireguard.

Connecting to the server from a client using an external public IP while they are both on the same home network may not work, this is not a server failure. Use a public IP when you are away from home. At home use the private IP of the server within the home network.

If you don't understand me then you have to spend some time studying the concept of VPN servers, how they work and what it takes to get them up and running.

Edited 3 times, last by elonesna (October 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM).