Legacy SMB Access

• I have just replaced an old RPi running LibreELEC 9 with a RPi 4B running LibreELEC (Matrix) 10.0.0.

Almost everything is now working as expected except for SMB access to my old Drobo FS. SMB access to a PC running an up-to-date version of SAMBA is fine so I suspect that the version of SAMBA on the legacy Drobo FS is the problem.

Looking at the guisettings.xml file in /storage/.kodi/userdata there is a line as follows:

<setting id="smb.legacysecurity" default="true">false</setting>

Is this the setting that controls access to legacy SMB software or is it somewhere else?

• There is the Samba min & max version setting in Kodi, and there is the Samba section in LibreELEC's Settings Add-on, for SMB server purposes. No need to poke in the guisettings.xml file itself.

• There is the Samba min & max version setting in Kodi, and there is the Samba section in LibreELEC's Settings Add-on, for SMB server purposes. No need to poke in the guisettings.xml file itself.

I had seen these settings but assumed that they all referred to the SAMBA server in Kodi not the SAMBA client.

• LE Settings = Samba Server, Kodi Settings = SMB Client. You need to set Kodi SMB client to min/max SMBv1 and if the SMB implementation is really ancient and rubbish you may also need the legacy security option setting.

• I'm happy it works, but that configuration makes no sense. If you set min1/max3 the Kodi SMB client will choose the Samba smbclient default dialect which is SMBv2. The client can auto-negotioate to newer SMBv3 but it cannot negotiate down to SMBv1. The only way to make it use SMBv1 is to set both min/max values to SMBv1.

• I misunderstood the usage of min and max. I had assumed that the SMB client would first try the max setting and if it failed drop down a version until it connected or the min version was reached. I thought that setting both min and max to SMBv1 would mean it could not use SMBv2 or SMBv3 to connect to SMB servers that would not allow connection by an SMB1 only client.