Dovecot docker container

• Sorry for writing the post in German. I wasn't aware.

I'm Andreas and new to the forum. I'm using libreELEC already for a long time and up to now I could solve my problems on my own.

Now I came up with the idea to run a local e-mail server on my HTPC. My HTPC can be started by LAN wack-up without problems. That is enough for my use. Just as local storage for not having all e-mail on the net. I want to access from various clients in the local network.

I installed dovecot in a container and it is running.

My problem: I cannot access the container from my clients. It looks like libreELEC rejects the IMAP access (no access to 192.xx.xx.xx possible).

Does somebody of you have a similar setup or knows the reason for the problem?

Regards

Andreas

Hallo,

ich bin Andreas und neu hier im Forum.

LibreELEC verwende ich schon einige Jahre und bin bisher immer selber mit meinen Problemchen durch gekommen.

Jetzt bin ich auf die Idee gekommen meinen HTPC auch als lokalen E-mail server zu verwenden. (Er lässt sich problemlos per LAN wecken und das würde mir für den Zweck reichen.)

Nur als storage, um nicht alle mails im Netz zu haben und von verschiedenen clients im Heimnetz zugreifen zu können.

Ich habe dovecot als docker container installiert und der läuft auch.

Mein Problem: Ich kann von meinen clients nicht auf den container zugreifen. Scheinbar verweigert libreELEC den IMAP Zugriff (kein Zugriff auf 192.xx.xx.xx möglich).

Hat einer von Euch so ein setup am laufen oder kennt den Grund für das Problem?

Gruß

Andreas

Edited once, last by McKenna (October 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM).

• Hi Da Flex,

yes I did read the pinned thread and that was how installed dovecot in a container via portainer.

I did re-read it today.

I found out that I can connect to the dovecot container using telnet once I'm connected to libreELEC by SSH.

ssh [email protected]

then telnet 172.xx.xx.xx 143

gives a postive answer from dovecot.

An IMAP client request from Thunderbird to 172.xx.xx.xx returns "192.xx.xx.xx connection refused".

Any ideas?

Edited once, last by McKenna (October 18, 2021 at 8:02 PM).

• 172.x.x.x is a docker network IP. What you need to do is map the ports you need, so they can be addressed at the 192.x.x.x ip, which is the host (libreelec) ip

• Hello aptalca and Da Flex,

thanks for supporting - that did the trick.

I had to re-create the container in portainer, adding the ports to the existing one did not work.