HDMI + SPDIF dual audio

• Greetings to everyone!

I have a Raspberry pi4 + LE10.

I have added hifiberry HAT due to SPDIF.

How can I make the sound work on HDMI and SPDIF at the same time?

Thanks in advance. D

Edited once, last by Draculanium (October 14, 2021 at 12:55 PM).

• It's basically the wrong hardware to do that. An HDMI audio extractor would be the right choice.

Do you use a Kodi app to play music? Maybe there is a chance to switch to S/PDIF over the app.

• I used SPDIF for 15 years but am really happy with HDMI audio out of the Pi. In my case, I use HDMI audio from the Pi directly into the receiver.

I couldn't get an extractor to do DD or DTS. My TV won't pass it through, either. The AVR had zero trouble with DD or DTS, including EX and ES, so now I use the second HDMI port for audio and it works perfectly.

There should probably be an FAQ for HT audio out of a Pi. Perhaps some people have audio extractors that handle multi-channel properly and we can start a list?

• I would listen to music on two floors. The first would go from HDMI, the second from SPDIF. Unfortunately, the second HDMI port of the RPI4 does not output sound, so it cannot be used.

D

• It's not possible to get audio on HDMI-0 and HDMI-1 at the same time.

It's also not possible to get audio on HDMI and HiFiBerry at the same time.

-> You need an HDMI audio extractor.

• Thank you for your answers. An HDMI extractor could be a good solution, but you need 7.1 sound on the first floor. What they can buy, they only know 5.1. Although HDMI should know 7.1, this is not declared. If you know of a link where the extractor's HDMI knows 7.1 and SPDIF knows 5.1, please write. Thanks for that so far.

Hi. D

• An audio extractor is not recommended if 4k HDR is required. It does not transmit the HDR signal.

It's just a question of processing speed. No argument against HDMI audio extractors in general. It's difficult to find quality extractors, that's for sure.

• I am withdrawing my previous post.

After a long try, it was set up. On the first floor we have 4k HDR and 7.1, on the second floor about SPDIF 5.1. The resolution had to be set to 4096 * 2160 in the kodi. With this, HDR also works. I know this is the default setting at startup, but 4k is basically 3840 * 2160.

Thank you for your support. Problem solved.

Hi. D

Edited once, last by Draculanium (October 21, 2021 at 10:46 PM).